1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

independant contractor?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by MFD18, Nov 5, 2007.

1. MFD18

MFD18 Junior Member
    from Boston

i run a small one man bobcat/dump truck operation...this winter i'd like to put both pieces of equipment on w/ the town i live in...

my question is can i hire someone as an independant contractor to ride in the seat of the bobcat for the winter?...

what would be the insurance implications of this?...im not required to have workers comp since i have no employees...any other ideas or solutions?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to work for the town they have a contract probably 50 pages long.And it will tell you the do's and don't .You can't have an independent in your stuff,makes him an employee Whats the big deal about hiring someone a lot of guys who landscape could be hired. .

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You may be able to sub contract out if you give the person a 1099 at the end of the year and they know they are just a sub with no benefits.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

1099 usually goes to independent contractors.If the other guy showed up with a bobcat then you can just pay him and he's responsible for taxes

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

draw up a rental agreement where your renting him the equipment. then bill it out and consider him a sub or independent contractor. dont forget a no compete. not sure if it will fly but it would be fun explaining it. lol.