1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Indemnification clause in snow plowing contract (would you sign?)

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Ziob34, May 5, 2009.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

hey everyone,
    just curious of your opinion on signing an indemnification clause in a snow plowing contract it is for a condominium complex. Just curious if you encounter this alot and what your take is.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

are they asking you to sign it? are they basically saying that if anyone slips and falls the condo complex isnt held responsible, you are as the contractor????

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We do it all the time. This is typical and very common in most commercial contracts of size.

You can try to cross it out then sign, but it might not fly for you. Property owners want someone else to be held responsible and liable, normal expectation when hiring a professional.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They think it makes a difference. Just like lots of contractors put they are not repsonsible in their contracts. Its all meaningless, the insurance company of the victim or the victim themself will go after everyone.

I sign them but only after I have a copy of their insurance on file.

5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

If a customer wanted me to sign something saying I am liable for slip and falls, etc this is what I would do:
    Salt when they forecast snow
    Plow it when it starts to accumulate and don't stop til the snow stops and the lot is clear
    Salt again

Charge them for all of the above

The whole thing comes down to negligence, if you can show you did all of the above no attorney in the world could successfully argue that you were negligent. A pre-salt, dedicated truck on site, and a post salting, what else could you do? NOT GUILTY YOUR HONOR!!!!!!!!

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I agree..... I only sign if i copy of there insurance on file. I have one bigger contract that requires a truck be on site, from nov 1 till april 1 they pay $XX per day for it to sit there, They pay XX for plowing every 2 inches, they refused salt. I had them clearly state no salt in contract. if anything ever happens i'll point out they refused salt..