1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

incredibly disappointed with Fisher quality

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by treefarm, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treefarm

treefarm Member

I wish I never sold my HD straight blade this August I picked up a new extreme V. plow, there's no doubt that it's a time saver however it's develop some odd problems first both hydraulic lines on front RAM are leaking at the plow side towards the front of the plow??? I could understand one line going bad I live on a farm I have seen many hydraulic lines fail but both of them???? This leads me to believe the plow can not handle stacking snow I could be wrong I hope someone will chime in. Also while back dragging I noticed the passenger side moves forward while backing up not holding its position at all but this doesn't't happen all the time?? Considering this week was the first real use of this plow on my own private property I'm just grateful I didn't't have that many commercial accounts this year or I'd be having a lot of angry phone calls. Also one other quick question I can't seem to find it anywhere in the book when you check the oil level should the plow be an a V or straight?? And how high should it be inside the chamber to the bottom thanks again. One other quick thing when I went by my dealer to show it to him he told me to bring it back Saturday and it be a minimal charge has Fisher given up the two-year warranty would this not be covered under I hope a representative from Fisher can answer me thanks again

PS when I explain hydraulic line I try to tighten them it's actually leaking at the clamp on the hose must be factory rejects, I hope no one is going to tell me I push too much snow we barely had 5 inches if this plow can't handle this I want my money back happy new year

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

To check oil level you have to have it in the Vee position with lift ram fully collapsed.The oil level should be at the level of the fill plug[square head bolt]. The hoses that are leaking at the clamps must be rejects.They shouldn't be leaking from stacking snow. I've pushed and stacked 18" of heavy wet snow without a problem with mine. My wings will sometimes move foward when back dragging especially if I try and change the angle of the blade when back dragging.

3. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Who is the Dealer?????..............Did you try to tighten the clamp????............I just find this whole post a bit concerning.....:dizzy:

4. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

The hoses have crimped on fittings not hose clamps, so you can't just tighten them up. The only way that I can think of why they would leak there is if the were bad from the factory or installed where the will get kinked [stressed] when angling the blade.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Overtightening will cause them to leak also

6. treefarm

treefarm Member

Thank you for the quick responses I just found that in manual online V position to the bottom of the filler port. There is no way to tighten the clamp when the hoses are produced they are factory made their are no adjustments only to tighten a bolt to the cylinder it's not leaking their, not the end of the world I was just hoping that this little bit of snow did not put that much back pressure on the plow and cause the lines to fail. I don't want to get into blaming dealer at this point I'm going to wait until I bring the plow in and see if they charge me then I'll blast them it obviously should be covered under warranty. As for the back dragging issue sometimes the blade stays perfectly straight and other times it acts like it's flapping in the wind?? There must be an adjustment or somethings going bad, this is why I am very disgusted with a brand-new plow first time out and I have two major problems that's not a good scorecard. My HD Fisher never had a problem in the time I owned it I hope I just got a lemon once again thanks for all the input I'm not on this form too slam Fisher there's nothing not to understand it's a simple question and observation about quality control. Thank you take care

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Air in the system, or lack of fluid I would say. The hoses are obviously defects, see your dealer for new ones...and no, it's not from back dragging or stacking snow. See your dealer to fix the issues now, rather then later. Explain your concerns so they can be rectified, once you get them out of the way, you'll be thrilled with the plow...in short, no, this is not what you can expect from your XV. To title your thread
    is just off the wall for these issues. This isn't to say D&D doesn't have it's issues....I could go on and on; but this;....come on. That's like hammering Ford over a slack tire, or a defective radio...it happens.

Who assembled it anyway; you or the dealer?

8. treefarm

treefarm Member

really you think i'm overreacting? is it you're $6800 I expect better not substandard parts or cheap lines, by the way there's other problems apparently the pump pressure is off they will have to look at it to see why the right wing will not stay in position when plowing or back dragging so yes i'm very disgusted with Fisher right now i would never recommend one to a friend. that's an interesting comparison tires are usually made by different manufacturers then the vehicle however a plow company usually makes their own parts or least outsources to a quality company so yes i hold them accountable for the entire physical plow that being said you have a right to your opinion however so do i and let's not forget i am the one sitting here without a plow today you know what that makes it to me BS. have a nice day and truly thank you for your input with trying to figure out what's wrong and trying to help right now i am just pissed off and wish i listened to my brother who told me not to buy a new fisher take care

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  9. RepoMan207

from Maine

You have no idea who's tree your barking up. Check out my thread from a few years back. I speak from experience when I said I could go on and on about Fisher. I've bought 3 more XLS's since then, what does that tell you.

They also don't make their own components... harnesses, hoses, fittings, rams, lights....they make the blades, headgear, push plates, brackets....

$6800, you got robbed!! 8.5 or 9.5? SS or Mild Steel? I probably shouldn't be telling you that right now lol.

The wing and pressure go hand in hand to your previously mentioned issues...chances are it's one thing that is upsetting the apple cart. I would be interested to hear what they come up with. Probably a junk breather or adjustment..maybe air or lack of fluid.

I can truly understand what your feeling right now...I've been far beyond it, but I'm telling you, once it's rectified, your going to love the plow. This is a small bump in the road. Hardly anything to get that upset over. Take a pause, and let them do their thing. If it's messed up when you get it back...then I could understand. But as you said...to each his own opinion.

Sincerely, best of luck. Let us know the outcome.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you have leaking hoses that would/could cause the wings to not hold position

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I would be very upset too. This is the problem with our manufacturing process in the US. We do not promote craftsmanship, instead we promote beancounting. This is one of the reasons I build or rebuild my own stuff (the older the better). Be it refurbishing or beefing up a plow or building my own harnesses. There is too much electronic stuff on the new products. This is why I like the older stuff as also does the OP. The warranty on this is not a scapegoat to lean on and an excuse to be shoddy, improperly swedged hoses is shoddy to say the least. Where is the QA testing, guess not. Warranties are built into the cost of any item we buy. The less warranty claims the factory pays the better off they are as well as the consumer buying the product.

Wishing condolences was not called for. He is reaching out for help. Hey where is Hugh the Fisher rep. now. He has responded in other posts regarding issues, why not this one.

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I wish there was a "Like" button, great post.

Sad part is the Extreme V has been around since what 2007? Pretty sure its price has gone up over the years as well and should have the bugs worked out by now. But issues will arrise with any manufacturing.

13. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

I must say i have been plowing for 15 years and have run every brand plow over the years fisher plows are the best hands down . As for the wing not holding position they have pressure releif valves to give way if to much pressure is put on it to protect the hydro system maybee its set too sensative. We run 6 hd straight blades and 4 xtreme v's and nothing stands up to commercial plowing like a fisher. Ecspecially the x v

14. hwilson

hwilson Junior Member

Re: Disappointed with Fisher Quality

treefarm,

My name is Hugh Wilson, and I am the National Service Manager for Douglas Dynamics (Fisher Products). I just came across your thread, and wanted to respond and get you resolution for your issues.
    First, you are probably getting air into the system if your hydraulic hoses are leaking...thus causing "wing drift" when back-dragging. To check your fluid level, all cylinders should be retracted/collapsed, the control in float mode, and the reservoir should be full in this position. If your hydraulic lines are leaking at the crimp, this would be a manufacturer defect and we will cover this under warranty.
    Please have your dealer replace the hoses under our normal warranty process, top off the fluid, and also have them check your releif valve settings to ensure wing drift is not occuring because a valve is out of adjustment. If your dealer has any questions, please have them contact either my Technical Service call center in Maine, or have him/her contact me directly here in Milwaukee.
    If for any reason, you are not completely satisfied, please drop me a message.

Thank you for your business and bing a loyal Fisher customer!
    Hugh Wilson
    Thumbs Up

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

And the mods jump in and remove an innocent post.

For reference, I've owned 6 Fisher plows and don't recall putting them down in this thread.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Really? His post was clearly deleted before you read mine then........

17. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Damn Douglas Dynamics is really letting QC go aren't they. I've been watching threads like these pop up almost every week now with people with junk hydraulic parts on Fishers. My newest Fisher is my 4 year old HT, never had an issue with it. I've never had issues on my plows besides a motor on the 8 year old RD. Makes me wonder where I'll go for my next plow when I'm ready for one. Starting to think my sig won't be relevant.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

this is why i love buying used plows. seems newer stuff of all brands always has problems. used plows the kinks have been worked out.

19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I just hope someone in the company is reading these and working on fixing these.

20. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

I think you answerd you own Question.........I have been in this business for 25 years.....I would Never go on here and Bad mouth any product untill the company that built the item has a chance to rectify the issue......All plow manufactures have issues at one time or another....I think the OP needs to let his dealer fix the issue and if he is still unhappy this is the place to vent......Yes, it disappointing when you spend your hard earned dollars and things are not perfect.....I think we should all let the process take its course and take a step back .........Just my opinion......:drinkup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.