1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Incomplete Unimount. K1500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TitanTurbo, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

I got what I thought was a hell of a deal on my 7.5 Western Unimount just last week, but when I put the mount together on the ground its missing a few things like the upper brace between the tow hooks, and the frame backing plate.

This puts me in a bit of a predicament because I cannot seem to find even a complete mount around here, or if I do then the seller is uninterested in separating.

I was wondering what parts might be around here or if someone could measure the parts I need?

It's mount: 61440

Screenshot_20151021-140944.jpg

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You may still be able to get indivigual parts from Western. Call a dealer and try.

3. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

You know, I haven't tried that. I was calling them at first looking for a complete setup only to get the now-classic "ultramount->Unimount adapter". Slipped my mind in all the runaround.

4. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

I was actually just told by a dealer in Spokane Washington (nobody open in my time zone) that you can't get any more Unimount truck side parts. :-/

5. Randall Ave

Try central parts warehouse, Ive gotten parts from them in the past.

6. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

Central parts is not far from me. I will try that now.

7. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

I just got some brackets from them for my unimount, so they are stocking some.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Uni mount truck sides are like gold !

9. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

Aren't they, though. There is a guy in my area (N Central Illinois) who makes them for $450, I really wanted to spend less than that, but considering I paid $750 for a working and structurally sound Western pro, truck side wiring, and most of the mount; I could spend a bit more to get it done. I don't mind saving change through.

10. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

I'll be waking them in about 12 hours. Their site mentions new and used mounts in my model. Maybe they'll have my bracket.

11. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

Okay, no bracket. They have the full mount, maybe I'll go with that, but there is another mount for this truck... 96+ with air bags. Western part 62330. Might anyone have one to sell? I will be looking in the sale board. Thank you guys.

12. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

That looks like a real easy part to fabricate and weld up. Good excuse to tell the wife you need a welder (if you don't already have one) ...and a drill press. Get a Harbor Freight band saw to cut with. OR, make some patterns out of cardboard and take them to a local fab shop (along with your truck) and they can probably make that piece for not that much. Find out what shop rate is and figure 4-8 hours plus materials (about $30). You can probably save some time if you don't mind if they make the mount holes with a plasma cutter (won't look as nicely finished as 'drilled' holes, but will function as well and a lot quicker (cheaper) for the shop to make). For all the time you're going to spend looking for the 'right' part, consider just making one. Plow mounts are usually just welded-together angle iron and flat steel. Pretty easy to make.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  13. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

Funny that you say that. I have been looking at welders but the wife wants me to wait until her bonus comes in (after it snows some, mind you). This leads me to "Why didn't I think of cardboard templates?" That's brilliant! :drinkup:

14. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Check on Craigslist for something like this:
    http://madison.craigslist.org/for/5255618279.html
    Most people rarely weld anything over 1/4" so don't overbuy. Something like the welder above would probably easily do 3/8" or just make multiple passes for 1/2". A used Century wire feed welder can run as low as $150. Stick to something with 130amps or greater IMO with the capacity to use gas. For your job, you could just as easily use flux core wire until you get enough money for a bottle of gas, or you can rent bottle for like $10 a month. You could get a stick of 3" W x 5 1/16 thick (or 3/8) and cut all the brackets you need with a hack saw. I used to do it that way for years (till I bought a plasma) and I made a lot of stuff. It's just an idea. But if you don't have time or space to get your hands into it right now, yeah, you can find a good shop to make it. Now gives them some time to schedule you in.

15. Randall Ave

Um, I do not want rain on any one's parade here. Can the OP weld? Here in Jersey a fab shop is at least 100.00 an hour. If you can get the new mount, buy it, install it yourself, not that hard.

16. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Maybe that guy that makes up Unimount parts (in Illinois??) can set you up with the piece you need.

Welding isn't that tough. It can be learned pretty quick. Just need some practice (a project like this). All the info one could need to get started is out there. Other types of specialized welding, I agree, take knowledge and years of practice ..and certifications.

17. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

The OP can weld; however, being sure it can hold the plow is another story. Not sure I want to do it. I got the guy(yeah, south Beloit Illinois) mKing me one,and making the part for the other for $525, also, I went out toward Chicago and got the other mount for these trucks which was missing a couple of parts ($120) for $200, so now I'm looking at having 3 complete mounts for under $1000. Now I need another truck

18. TitanTurbo

TitanTurbo Junior Member

Unless there is interest in one of these mounts...

19. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Drop us a line (and maybe some pics) of the new parts when you get them. It might be something I may have to do one of these days too...