1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Income tax?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by CK82, Mar 18, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I heard through a friend in the snow removal business that since snow removal and retaining walls are liabilites? there is no income tax associate with them? I dont belive this but hopefully its true!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Go with your first instinct.

That reasoning for not being taxable doesn't even make sense. It's income; it's taxable.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

retaining walls ????

4. GFX

GFX Member

I think he meant sales tax. Snow plowing and retaining walls in Wisconsin are not taxable sales. The income you make off them is taxable.

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I wish it were true!! As said, probobly meant sales tax. Just put the quarterlys in the mail box today.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here 8.75% sales tax.payup

7. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

My tax guy has told me for several years running that "Service only" is not subject to sales tax but if I sell so much as one nut, washer, grain of salt, etc.... then the whole thing is taxable for parts & labor..

so my invoices are 1/2 & 1/2. those that get Icemelt are taxed and those that are "Service only" are untaxed....this may be an Iowa only thing though.....

as far as the construction trades go...new construction is not taxable whereas remodel or repair is taxable....

8. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Ok got it so snow removal and retaining walls have income tax. Snow removal is sales tax free, salting (product) has to have sales tax paid either at the point of sale or by the customer in the end. So is the salting service itself have sales tax or just the re-sale of the product?

9. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I am by no means a tax guy so PLEASE run this question by your tax guy...

The way that I do my billing if I was there and am billing them for labor only:

plow &/or snowblow with no Icemelt then it is billed as "Service only" and not taxed

now, if I do the same lot & spread Icemelt on the sidewalk, I then have to bill for Icemelt....billed as materials.

once I add this to the invoice I then am required to charge sales tax not only on the price of the Icemelt, but also on all the labor. associated with that same job...

does that clear it up for you or is it clear as mud????

can anyone else articulate this better than I have??? I think that all I have done is confuse the issue

"PANIC, MURDER, & PANDEMONIUM...MY WORK HERE IS DONE"

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Laws pertaining to sales tax are set by the State. There are wide differences and even comparing one state to another is meaningless.

11. GFX

GFX Member

See if this helps answer any of your questions. http://www.dor.state.wi.us/pubs/pb210.pdf

12. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

There is NO tax for snow removal in the state of wisconsin. Trust me I did alot of refunds for taxing my customers.