1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Income potential plowing for a season.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jons999, Feb 27, 2015.

1. jons999

jons999 Junior Member

I've been doing commercial plowing for about 15 years now with trucks, skid steers and front end loaders. I've always worked for other people on nights and weekends using their equipment. Winters have been pretty crazy the last few years so im thinking next season i'll buy some equipment and go out on my own. Then i would do construction/skid steer work in the summer. I would probably quit my 90k a year day job if i did this. So what is the income potential of one guy plowing full time in an average winter? Obviously there are tons of variables here but are any of you guys making a comfortable living plowing, or do i need to hire a bunch of employees and go big to make that kind of money? I already own a new F250 and have great credit to buy equipment at low interest. Im also a master certified mechanic so overhead from repair costs would be parts only.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

With all due respect, that sounds like a terrible trade off. Do you hate your job or does your boss abuse you or something?

3. jons999

jons999 Junior Member

Haha no, just sick of killing myself everyday to make someone else money. I'd do the plowing thing and keep my regular job but i work 12 hour days sometimes so im worried i wouldn't be able to service my accounts in time during big storms.

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So you want to quit a 90k year job to go plowing? Toouch stress to do that trade. Last year many guys grossed over 7 figures, this year those same guys may only gross 5 figures. As far as skidsteer work in the summer idk about that, unless you are a true operator.

5. jons999

jons999 Junior Member

I guess my other option is to buy a plow for my truck and sub for other guys on my days off. I make $16 to $22 an hour plowing right now depending on what site i work and what equipment i'm running. I get pretty frustrated working with the equipment im given to do the job with. I would rather someone pays me a little more money to show up with my own equipment.

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 80K job for 17 years - I Quit - should have long before. But to each his own. I make less but have more. I still have to find jobs for the summer. A just snow business could be done and take off the other 9 months but you would have to run a lot of trucks.

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

A lot of work needs to be sold, a lot of equipment will need to be purchased, and a lot of expenses will need to be paid before you will be able to pay yourself the amount of money that your 90K day job does. Just sayin.

It's ok to dream but think hard and long about this one.

8. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

The only way I would do it is buy you own equipment and use it as a sub and on the days you work hire someone for $15-20 an hour ON the books dont be "that guy" that way you can have your own equipment get into the industry with out the possibility of bankrupting your self then if that works out you can continue to buy more and more and start your own company on the side per say at first which may piss people off but you have to protect yourself first. Then at some point you would be able to quit your job and go full time but its a risky game to play. It doesn't happen over night my first year plowing I lost money and the second year but that is because there are a lot of expenses in this industry

9. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

The e myth contractor. Is a good book.

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

My wife would shoot me if I quit a $90,000 a year job. Don't know if your married though but money isn't everything. You should enjoy what you do. If you can use your equipment in the summer also that's a plus also your a mechanic so that's great. I'd see what kind of work you could line up in the summer and potential next winter and weigh the profits and loss

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Also your credit may be great right now.
    See how much you can get without that 90k job.

It's going to be tough, as you have no track record as a contractor.
    No tax statement to show your business is a good risk.

Start small,
    Plow as a stress relief
    Augment your income plowing.

Jmo.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To make the same you'll need to do a half million in work.

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I also left a mechanics job of 15 years making 50k a year. I couldn't stand getting out of bed every morning I hated my job so much. I now make half that and work my ass off doing it. There were some years I didn't pay myself at all because "the company" bought new equipment and couldn't pay me and the bank both, so I worked for free. I do lawn care in the summer. I am much happier now working for myself and doing something that I enjoy. Just know going into it that the first few years will be tough. I would definitely buy your equipment while you still have your job and a pay stub to qualify for loans with.

14. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Giada has a really big head.

15. grandview

Don't know ,have made it up that far;)

16. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

Ask yourself how much in sales you will have to bring just to make same as your 90k job ? Do you hate your current job?

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

No offense to the op but this might be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on here. Who in their right mind gives up a 90k+benefits/year job to plow snow? If you're planning on doing something this stupid then I hope to God you're one hell of a salesman because in order to keep even remotely in the same lifestyle you'll need to be. Stick with the job you have. There's millions of people that would be more than happy to make what you're making

18. grandview

If he moves to Erie Pa it should no problem making that kind of cabbage plowing snow.

19. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing: yeah we're really raking it in over here

20. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

To the original op I am too a mechanic and make no were near that with plowing. And a full time job. The only problem I see is when you have no snow and no seasonal contracts. But if it work for you then that's great