1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Include square footage?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by shovelracer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Just curious how many people mention the square footage in their contracts. We do it for our landscaping services, but have never really needed to do it for plowing yet. I just sent out a bid for itemized winter services and felt it was necessary to have it recorded for both of us to see. Even then only because I know the manager well enough to know that they are always looking for an easy way out. My 8 page contract should take care of that. I wont get it most likely because of terms, but I dont leave any doors unlocked when it comes to commercial contracts.
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I do it sometimes if it is a new manager or real estate agency that just took over a property. It helps them realize how much area needs to be serviced and backs up the pricing I offer. I am always close to the high bid. But hey I am in this make money.
  3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I have never offered the square footage in a bid that did not request it... seems irrelevant.

The reason is that I do not want to further the idea that great service comes down to not just a number, but such an exact number.

They get the price and the service description... that's it. I include a map in the contract to make sure there are no miscommunications as to what parts of the lot are included.
  4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

If your offering labor to clear walks etc.
    I think it would be best to include square footage
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Never give out square footage to the manager/customer.......sidestep the issue and do a little dance. Same goes with how many hours you spend doing the work, and so on. They are not entitled to it......let them try to figure it out on their own if they need to know. The thing is they don't need to know...unless you are in a deposition defending yourself and your client from a slip and fall issue.

Flame me all you want, but govern the urge to educate your customer. If you allow them they will pump you all day long for free information.

What did it cost you to know what you know?

An educated customer really doesn't need you. I am in no way saying to not do the right thing. Perform your job and service better than your competitor. Give your customer great service and get creative....make it about them and give concessions when warranted. You may also need to take a bullet once in a while. But for God sake don't demystify all your efforts....that information will be passed right along to the next guy who wants to take that work from you.
  6. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I agree with your statements...how true, why start now.

An educated property owner should know there maintenance cost called "CAM"
    I do not have an issue with educating some of the customers I service. JMO
  7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Based on square footage in July. That's how you price em. It may only be 2/3 that by March! You would think the owner or PM would know the size of the lot.
  8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Amen Brother! They should know their own square footage, it really doesn't matter. If a manager wants to dissect your bid, they can probably figure things out enough.

Adding square footage just makes it too easy to label you with a per sf formula... which can be passed to your competitor, and can also be used to "not bother" including your on future bid requests since they lazily might figure your per sf price on property A would put you way over on property B without any consideration to equipment and technique.