1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Incidental, Collateral damage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cutting Crew, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Cutting Crew

Cutting Crew Junior Member

Would like to know what you all are going to do about the sod and curb damage you might incur during the season. Here in CO we have had much snow and I KNOW that we have been peeling up sod along sidewalks! Where does this land, our responsibility, the client, or a mixture of both? Typically we don't have much damage, but with the blizzard, it was nearly impossible to prevent damage with larger equipment! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Some of my customers have a regular landscaper and they usually fix it for them. Most usually in the spring I go to my worst ones with some soil in my truck and some straw and cheap grass seed. I just remove the plowed up sod chunks and put a few shovel fulls of soil down, enough to grow grass, some seed and straw. If it doesnt grow all well, but I atleast made the atempt to fix it. Some people may have them selves not held responsible for turf damage in their contracts. I just cant leave stuff look like crap in the spring. I feel it gives a bad name

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

My thinking is it was who ever was driving the trucks fault. I put up stakes to decrease it so I think the responsibility falls on the person plowing. If you hit a set of steps it would be your fault right, not theirs because they built them there so you would be responsible for fixing it. It is cheap and easy to run around in the spring and spread loam and spread seed, it will at least keep the client happy and show that you care.
  4. Cutting Crew

Cutting Crew Junior Member

We do alot of HOA's with miles of sidewalks, so we can't really mark them. We definately will (as we do each spring) go out and make it look pretty again. There is verbage in our contracts for damage caused and what will be done in the spring, but with three feet of snow it is just hard to see edges!! It is cheap to fix them and keep them happy, the unbillable hours to do this in spring is going to add up this year.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I just took out a section of fence and replaced it that morning and told them. The women said she won't even known that I broke it.So everybody is happy.
  6. WinnEnterprises

WinnEnterprises Member
    from KCMO

I'm with thermos, in our contract it says we aren't liable for sod damage, however, we usually take care of any significant damage in the spring. We normally pick a day, grab a dozen or two rolls of sod and a scoop of soil and spend a morning fixing everything. Again it's un-billable time, but that is what sets you apart from the competition. Which brings me to another point, sort of off topic, when you do things like this and someone comes in to low ball the contract next time, it gives you a firm ground to stand on and explain that the competition may charge less but that your service is superior and you can't compare us apples to apples... I hope all that makes sense or it will seem I am just rambling...:dizzy:
  7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I fix it in the spring.