1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In VA, New to the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tinffx, Jun 5, 2009.

1. tinffx

tinffx Member

Hello my name is Tony, I am new to the forum but i have been pushing snow for 7 years. I have been running other people's trucks and for the last few years (sans 08-09) managing a handful of jobs with 4-5 other trucks. The "friend" of mine I had been working for "forgot" to pay me $2500 so I took the last year off, mostly because it only snowed 3". I am not in the contracting business regularly, I actually work for Wells Fargo.

This past week I acquired my first plow truck. A 1987 GMC 2500 with a 8' Meyer setup. I bought it from my former boss from when I was in college working on cars. I have actually pushed with the truck a few times in the past years. It runs like a top. Other than a little body rust the thing might as well be new. When I was running the shop I had calls at like 5am needing all kinds of stuff fixed. That's actually how I ended up in a truck in the first place. Needless to say, for an old truck I know where it has been and what has been done to it.

I am not sure yet if I want to go out and solicit my own accounts or do some subbing just yet. I finance homes & home renovations so I am not really in a position to try and sell the snow removal work quite as much as I may need to for it to be worthwhile. I am really leaning toward just subbing if I can find enough work that way.

Anyhow, I plan on having myself & a friend of mine with experience for a backup, being able to run 24/7 in the snow when it is needed. If anyone needs a truck in the area that can run like that please let me know.

The one question I am trying to figure out is if it is worth it to get a spreader if I only plan to do the sub work. I don't know if it is really worth it. Could I command a higher rate if I had one? I have spread material regularly in the past but personally I don't like salt, calcium or sand in my parking lot. I think it just makes a mess. For the roads its good but in the lot I think it should be left alone. In VA, 9 times out of 10 anything left after a good push is gone by noon the next day..

Anyhow, thanks for having me...
  2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Welcome to the forum...if you ever need anything hollar,we are in Manassas...
  3. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Tony also to let you know we are here 24hrs a day when it snows. So yes at 2am on friday night you blow a hose we are here for you.
  4. tinffx

tinffx Member

I have done that before. Make sure I have your all's number.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have any pics of the truck? Those 87s with solid front axle and EFI are probably the best truck GM ever put out.
  6. tinffx

tinffx Member

I am going to try to take some pictures this weekend. The one problem I have is trying to find a place to park the thing. I live in a condo so right now I still have it parked at the shop.

It has the EFI in it but I'm not sure on the solid axle. I looked right at it on a lift but for some reason I can't recall. The thing drives great though. It was meticulously cared for and literally no expense was spared when it came to this thing. I wish I was that good at taking care of my stuff.