1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In Too Deep - Track rebuild advice needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ehalpern1, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ehalpern1

ehalpern1 Junior Member

I made the mistake of buying a neglected Noma/Craftsman 10hp, 32" track drive monster.

I've already replaced the impeller, impeller shaft, and the augar assy drive pulley (because a 20 press and acetylene would separate them!

Now I'm into the track system. I've already replaced both chains. (They seized and couldn't be rehabbed.)

My question is about the bearing surfaces for the track drive and tension wheels. Is the entire drive or pulley wheel supposed to spin freely on the axel tube that passes through them? Or is the axel suppose to spin in the side plates. The axels in my wheels DO NOT move freely! And, I want this thing to run right.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Wayne, PA
  2. ehalpern1

ehalpern1 Junior Member

It turns out that the plastic wheels inside the belts are designed to roll on the rods that go through them without any type of bearing assembly.

I managed to press our the roods, clean them up and greese them and get everything back together.

Also, it's worth noting that the huge slop in the chain is apparently by design and not due to excessive wear on the sprockets.