1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In the market for a v plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sytex17, Oct 28, 2009.

1. sytex17

sytex17 Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm in the market for a v plow, and i was wondering if anyone with a Boss V had any trouble stacking snow. I plowed with a 9' fisher straight blade and i was able to stack fairly high. I've heard a lot of good things about Boss. Although they all have there disadvantages I would be willing to try a Boss.

Thinks I don't like about Boss is the mounting system "electrical" and great big BOSS lettering hanging down from the front of the truck, I like the fishers ground clearance. I don't like the chain lift on the fisher but it is dependable (bouncing effect in transport, but not noticeable in a 1 ton), and i love the trip edge. I don't like how the fisher extreme v is so heavy compared to the Boss Vxt. Another thing I would love to know is if the Boss VXT has faster hydro's compared to the extreme v by fisher.

I have a Boss dealer 20 min from my house and fisher dealer 10 min from my house.

Just looking for opinions with people that have had Boss V's.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of truck? Really doesn't matter go with the v plow 8.2 is good 9.2 is better. Stacking is never a problem

boss stacking.jpg

3. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Never ever a problem.:waving:

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

no stacking problems :D

5. sytex17

sytex17 Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the pics, how smooth is the trip in V and Scoop positions, I'm used to a trip edge. I love the V-XT I've been researching them. I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad SLT, I'm thinking a 9'2" will be what I will be pouting on it. Fisher's 8'6" Xtreme V is far heavier than the V-XT 9'2"

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

sometimes heavier is better, I put my 8' HD on my 2500Ram through the freakin wringer and she was still in great shape after 5 years when I sold her (the truck not so much) what kind of plowing are you doing? obviosly the bigger plow will clear more quickly but I would really limit the 9'+ plows to 1 tons.

7. sytex17

sytex17 Junior Member
    from Maine

You can't go wrong with a 8' HD, that I know for a fact. But I'm looking for a v plow, if i was to get a straight blade it would probably be the X-Blade or a 8' HD. What really sucks is, Boss and Fisher should join and make a V plow. That way then can integrate a trip edge into BOSS v blades. People say full trip is harder on a truck than a trip edge, well that is true but a chain lift is just as bad to the front end as a full trip. I'm just worried about the BOSS tripping. Since I will be plowing paved roads and as well as gravel, and gravel driveways i just want to know how the Boss V does in gravel.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Fisher XV. IMO, the hinge design is the most critical component of a Vee plow. Boss wins hands down. The Boss wiring system is much better than Fisher. Electrical connectors are better. Truck mounting system is better. From what I've read, the direct lift is better. Spring return wings are better.

To me, the pros of the Boss outweigh the disadvantages of the trip system and goofy stickers.

The push beam could be removed for the offseason.

9. sytex17

sytex17 Junior Member
    from Maine

I've heard some of which you stated, but the one thing that gets me is you have to get smart lock, it doesn't come standard. that's the one thing i like about the fisher is that it comes standard with dual locking cylinders, but from what you're saying i think I'll just pay the extra with the Boss V-XT, sounds like a 8'2" would be a better application for my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 HD instead of the 9'2" even though there isn't much difference. Sounds the Boss would be much easier on the truck as it is doesn't weigh as much as the fisher and that its direct lift.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't use smartlocks on my v plow.

11. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I have the smartlock cylinders. I hardly ever trip the blade over. Maybe once or twice a year. Tripping the blade is no issue here.

12. sytex17

sytex17 Junior Member
    from Maine

I like to hear that...

How do you like the Smart Lock? Work good?

13. Actionpower

Actionpower Junior Member

I just purchased a 9.2 VXT with smartlock, and put this on a F250 2010 Crew Cab witha 6000# front end and rancho shocks. We have a 8.2 V since 2003, doing commercial plowing and other than a set of cutting edges, she has been a beauty. Friend has a Xtreme V SS, and he likes it, but he also paid more $$$.

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I do a ton of plowing on gravel and have very little issue with the plow tripping. Now, the first time it happened, it scared the sh*t out of me, but now, its no bother. Doesn't happen very often.

I've got an 8'2", 9'2" and 9'2" XT, all V's and love them all.

15. phammer1

phammer1 Junior Member

I have the 8.5 V XT. Couple of observations....
    1) Maybe I just have a bad umbilical cord on the plow, but it doesn't line up very well with the truck side - last winter, I got into a big pile of snow, the snow pulled the umbilical, and it's never really gone together well since then, tho it was not real easy before.
    2) Installer put the truck receptical down under the bumper. What a BAAAAD place for it. I ended up moving it into the grill where, I must say, it looks outstanding.
    3) "stacking" snow is pretty easy, and can get pretty tall.
    4) The 'v' is definitely the way to go, we have a straight plow at our Fire Department and I can do twice as much as the jeep can
    5) An F350 Extended Bed Quad Cab is really nice for hauling a boatload of 4-H girls, 6 bales of hay, a horse trailer with 6 horses in it. It is NOT the truck of choice for plowing short curvey driveways!!!
    6) Like others have said, I've only had 1 trip, and yes, it scared the sh*t out of me too.
    7) I have a 400' gravel driveway at my house, and it works fine! (well, ok, it could be better... if the truck would start itself and drive itself, so I didn't have to get off the couch when the boss says it's time to plow the driveway....)

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009