1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In the ballpark???

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MatthewG, Jul 5, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Just want to make sure im in the ballpark...... feel free to agree or disagree - I might be a little low, the employee expense has me off a bit

1. 3/4 ton pickup with 8.5' straight blade
    1. Skidsteer with 10' pusher
    Total of 3 employees

1-4" $410
    4-8" $512
    8-12" $615
    12-15" $720
    15"+ is $100/additional inch

Walks $100

Salt about a ton/bulk $200ish

Red area only = 2.7 Acres obviously the building is not part of it

mall.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Nice avatar of Jen.

3. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I would go higher, but everyone's market is different. This is what i would go
    Ice control only 500
    1-4 800
    4-8 1500
    8-12 2000
    15+ 3500

4. MatthewG

Thanks Fisherboy, kind of thought I was low after sleeping on it. Its my first year bidding with a skidsteer and pusher

5. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

check ur inbox i sent u a mesaage

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I don't know, you don't seem that far off to me, I am thinking a hour and a half with the equipment you have on site, unless I am missing something, It is a little low, but I know that Fisherboy's pricing wouldn't fly around here (no offence). Looks like there is lots of places to pile snow too, so that isn't going to slow you down. Nice open pushes, etc should make this a fast property to do.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

In my opinion, thats a skid steer only site... you can do almost 2 ac an hour with a skid and experienced operator and 8-10 box... depending on where you are to put the snow, it looks as though you might have some short runs which would be a perfect combo for the skid. I do a 3 ac property with a skid only and it works out very well. That being said, whats your trigger depth? will the skiddy be left on site? how many times do they expect you to got back during a storm ie 1-4 one time, 4-8 2 times, ect ect......?.. is the place open 24 hours?

8. MatthewG

Truck is just there for the salting and support (there is a drive through) and he can do behind the building while the skid gets the big parkig lots.
    Skidsteer to be left on site with the salt pile also
    1" Trigger
    No mandated trips per snowfall
    Not open 24 hours

Id rather be high and not get it than low and get it. Im going to add about $100-150 per pricepoint and hand it in.

Mick you have a nice website, I hope I can keep working on mine to jazz it up like yours
    pawinterservices.com

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Get rid of the truck or have him there for alittle windrowing and such and have him go to another site (maximize your efficiencys sp?) I'm not from your area but say you get $100 per hour for your skid... on a 1-4 inch storm, are you going to be there 4 hours? (for your rate of $410)... not if your good at snow removal you won't. Base everything off of your hourly rate. (costs per hour ...labor $20, fuel $10, depreciation $3. insurances $7, overhead $15, maint $5.....this totals $60 per hour to run your skid (your actual #'s will vary and these arn't mine but you get the idea)... on that site if it took 2 hours to do, you'd make $290 ..........$410 you'd charge minus your expenses of $120(minus taxes of course) based on your current bid in the 1-4 range...or if you look at it another way, you would have made $145 per hour for employees doing the work for you... That would be a solid bid IN MY AREA.....
    Good luck to you!

10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Am I not the only one who lol'd at this??

:laughing:

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've got to start reading signatures more often. That is absolutely priceless!!!!

12. MatthewG

Ha glad to provide the laugh, I am seriously considering putting it on my truck maybe just the rear cab glass or something

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say add the $100 or so and you'd be ok IMO.

14. buckwheat_la

$100? this lot is worth much more then that, I am not sure if you are being serious or not

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Buck,
    What rate do you get per hour for your skiddys?

16. buckwheat_la

I re read lilweeds comments, I miss understood what he was saying, my bad

17. buckwheat_la

I get $75/hour for my single speed skids, $100/hour for my 2 speed skid and my 910 loader. I did make a mistake with my comment above, misread his lilweeds comment.

When I look at that property, I see 3-6hrs depending on

-how many cars are left on site
    -where snow needs to be piled
    -how picky you need to be close to building ie loading docks etc

Also, (not trying to cause a fight) but seems to me there is more then 2.7acres there too, when I figured out my stalls sq footage, and worked the math for the rest (very roughly|) I had it closer to 3.5-4acres

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  18. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

I thought I was the only one that caught that... That killed me.
    "I would rather be high and not get it , than low and get it"????!!
    How's that? you know what it cost's you per hour to be in business, you know what it cost's to be profitable? How can you just throw that out there? At what amount is it not worth getting it? Do you have other work in the area? Is it a high profile job for your company? Is it a pre existing account or new and your just adding the skid??(sorry if I missed that)
    Welcome to the world of self employment. How about being high on everything, but happy, and no work?
    I am not busting your balls but you probably know the answer to your question, know who is bidding against you and know where the low water mark is.
    Screw being high but happy, put in what is a fair bid for you and stick your neck out there.
    I did a Wal Mart last year and made jack, so believe me, I understand being low, however I had 3 other accounts within a half mile so it ended up being a good season, but not great. However I didn't lose money at the Wal Mart and I kept my equipment working.
    Unless the bottom falls out, I won't be doing the Wal Mart this year, but never say never.
    Good luck.Just my opinion.
    Chris

19. MatthewG

As a follow-up I didnt get the work, they gave me no explanation as to why

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I hate it when they don't give an explanation especially when I ask for one. I'll usually press the issue abit to find out why but 9 times out of 10 its price. Curious as to what your final #'s were....pm me if you'd like.... but like you said you'd rather be high and not get the job then low and regret it......With any bids I lose I usually stop in if I see the current contractor is doing a lousy job and if he is see if they would be interested in me doing their place for the rest of the season.....with them signing a 3 year contract of course