1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In search of a Poly bed sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ONETONFORD, Oct 27, 2005.

ONETONFORD Junior Member
    from MASS

Does anyone know who has the best poly bed sander? I have a steel bodied sander I bought used, I am looking to upgrade to a poly sander, hoping it will last longer. Any suggestions?
  2. lttbsr

lttbsr Junior Member
    from Cary,IL

3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

4. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

All that is, is a poly hopper. Everything else is either steel or stainless steel. All of my V Boxes are stainless steel and the hopper is the LAST thing I care about. In other words, what good is the poly hopper when everything else is the same old same old. Might as well get an all stainless spreader for less money because all of the important parts on the polyhawk look to be steel/stainless steel. All the same maintenance and your spending more money. Sounds incongruous to me!!
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I have been pricing sanders this week and the polyhawk was the same price as stainless sanders. I think it could have some advantages , as in lighter weight, less sticking in freezing weather, bendable when loader operator hits it with bucket , tongue doesnt stick to it when licked. I'm not saying its better but it was a toss up for me , i liked the idea of poly. Regardless i bought a stainless sander today because the dealer is one mile away versus the polyhawk dealer at about 75miles.
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

My oldest V box is 12 years old , it has some rust and is due for its second sandblasting. It still works great . when the loader hits it it bends , I bend it back . I can weld it , beat on it , I have even dropped it off the truck . Our trick is to oil the unit down frequently .
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I am also in the market for a new spreader, and I think I will give the poly one a try. freight charges and overall weight are a plus. no sanding or painting the hoper is also a plus. I will post about it in a month or so after I get to use it a bit.
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

What about the Salt Dog and Meyers poly units with the electric motors? Think they are any better than the gas motors? Each drive is infinately adjustable on those....
  9. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

You know, I got into this mess two years ago with the TryNex poly spreader, and I learned two lessons. One, is that the poly spreader acts like an ice tray for the salt. When it gets cold, that salt will become a giant salt lick in less than an hour.

Lesson two, DO NOT BUY PRODUCTS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN ON THE MARKET FOR LESS THAN TWO YEARS. There is a reason why the VBox has been around for so many years. Buy what is proven to perform. Don't buy a product and be the guinea pig for that company to make later improvements on. Ya get my drift!!

Dug, I'm glad you went with the correct choice.
  10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Recieved my Poly Hawk in good order. List price sugested by Swenson was $6189 fob factory. Freight cost me almost $1500 to Juneau. I got the extended shoot and Honda power. Unit is orange not yellow as pictured in Swenson site. Everthing except the battery. It included a set of battery cables that could connect to the truck battery. (about 20' long) if you wanted to. The power from the Honda is transfered to the electric cluch by fan belt instead of #40 chain. which is much quieter. I did have to tighten several of the motor mounting bolts and also install a strain releaf for the control cable. Controls are simple and not to hard to mount. I did do away with there control box and installed the controls in my dash which took about 4 hours of messing around. But I feel it was worth it.
    Have not used the spreader as of yet but should this weekend.

Link to picture of sander control installed in dash
    . switch under control is for LED strobe
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  11. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Controller that really works

2 years ago year you guys asked me to come up with a controller to drive new electric v-box spreaders that really worked. I'm please to offer the Omega II. It comes with a 2 year warranty and will work on any brand of spreader that has a spinner and auger or belt drive. The Omega II is priced right and includes an automatic auger jam clear feature. See it on our website. www.karrierco.com

Happy spreading,

Kind regards,

Bob Church
    Karrier Company
    Ph: 800-709-4434
  12. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I was quoted $5499.00 for the poly hawk with the tecumseh 10 hm engine and..6,199.00 for the polyhawk with the 11 hp honda. I dont know much about the poly hawk but the Saltdogg has been getting pretty good reviews.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

saltdog i like the way there set up looks
  14. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I went stainless Buyers with 10.5hp Briggs from Angelo's Supply in Michigan. $2999 out the door with top screen, inverted v, and four ratchet tie downs. I haven't found a better deal yet. Website: angelos-supplies.com. 6' or 8' stainless is $2999. Extended chute add $100. 10' $3499 and add $100 for extended chute.