1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In need of Tech help ASAP!!

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by MadLion90, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Hi everyone in the community. I am having a problem with the my Sno-Pro 3000 staying raised, but everything else works strong. Just started today and got progressively worse through out the storm. Started falling and stopping half way after about a min. By the end on my routes it would go all the way to the ground after about 2 mins. I have searched on here and saw that it is most likely the valve(s), but the issue i have is that there is only one service spot in RI that handles Curtis and they were already closed today and most likely won't be able to get it in to fix before the storm on tuesday.

Questions --> Is there anything else that could cause it? The lift cylinder seems to be leaking a tad from the seal, could it be that or maybe low fluid (gonna check tonight)? If it is infact the valves is it a job that i could perhaps do myself with some knowhow incase the shop can't fix it before tuesday? I have taken apart the resevoir part of a 2000 series to clean the filter but never on this one as i just got it this year. Have also noticed that the jack stand also would lower over about 2 month's time if that helps any (looks like they might use the same valve by the diagram).

Sorry for the long post but figured i would explain the best I could, and thank you for any quick responses. Mike

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. dubge

dubge Junior Member
    from Boston

mine did this when it was low on fluid, start by checking that

3. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Yeah that was my first thought but I had an older plow that was low once from a leak and it just wuld just be slow when lifting/angling. It would hold the plow up once it was up. Was yours slow to lift/angle as well or was the falling the only problem noticed?

Called the shop today as they are open for a few hrs on saturdays for sales only. As i figured they are booked until after this storm. So i'm gonna take a look tomorrow (day off)as to fluid level, and perhaps try removing and cleaning the valves. Any advice i should know about doing this?? I saw in my search someone mention using mineral spirits to clean them. Is that right? Do I have to drain the fluid before I take them off? Is it more of a bolt on/off deal or more complicated? Any advice at all will be very helpful as I will be learning as I go on this. Thanks again for your help.

4. dubge

dubge Junior Member
    from Boston

I dont remember if it was slow to move but I think it was. My lift cylinder leaks as well so I am always staying on top of the fluid level. I would start by checking the level before worrying about anything else. Also try tightening the nut at the top of the lift piston, besides that and replacing the lift chain that is all I have done to this plow since buying it new in 05 (first plow) so I can not help you with anything else but at least it is a positive thing that I had a similar problem that was solved by a turn of a wrench and a little hydro fluid :)

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Take it up to The Curtis factory in Worcester. If you drop it monday morning Im sure they can get it fixed by tuesday night. Its not far from RI.

6. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Thanks dubge, i will def make sure to check all those things. I have no leaks which is why i'm leaning more towards interior issues but will be looking at everything i can.

As for taking it to the worcester shop, i don't think i would have time to get it there. Its about a 1hr ride from me (as I pass by it on the way to Wachusett Mt) and with work and all don't think i have any time to get it there then pick it up. Wish there was another shop in RI but apparently everyone here likes selling and fixing fishers rather than the local made Curtis.

Thanks for the posts, I'm sure I'll have another ? or 2 tomorrow when I look at it all.

7. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Get the 'diagnostic troubleshootig guide' from the Curtis website. It is great, will guide you thru most problems in a systematic fashion. And remember KISS Keep It Simple Stupid, check the easy stuff first. Why b!tc# about them not being open or boooked if you haven't even checked the fluid level? Just saying...
    Chad

8. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Ok so I took your advice cotter and found that guide. Def helped me a bit in knowing how to deal with this problem. So this is what i did today. Checked and added fluid but did not fix it. Tightened the big nut that holds the lift cylinder seal but didn't fix it. Moved to the valves and removed and cleaned first the lowering (float) valve which had a piece of debris in it but still didn't fix the problem however it would stop about 5" from the ground now. Did the same to the lift valve and now it holds much better. May have fixed it.:mechanic:

Now i still have one slight issue. Now it holds high but when I lift the plow (to any height) it still falls about 2-3" before it holds. Then it doesn't fall at all. Does it every time and at all heights. Is that normal or does that mean the problem is probably still there? Should I look into replacing the valve or perhaps a coil? The valves themselves looked to be in very good shape. Thanks again for the help.

BTW for anyone looking to work on the valves...removing the valves was surprisingly simple. Just the matter of removing the nut, sliding off the coil(s), and unbolting the valve itself. Didn't even have to remove the pump assembly for the lift and float valves. Nor did i have to drain the fluid, only a few drops of oil came out.

9. dubge

dubge Junior Member
    from Boston

Mine does not drop at all when it is raised, it stays at the spot I raise it to so I would say your problem is still there. Let us know if you find the solution, I am curious to hear what it is

10. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Mine started acting up again the next day so I ended up switching the float valve with one out of my old curtis and works great now. Was hard to tell by looking at the valve itself that it was bad because the important stuff is inside. Just a note as well for anyone looking to do valves... apparently there are 2 styles Sterling and Deltrol which are interchangable if you have the Deltrol in yours. Just gotta add 2-3 washers behind the coil if you use the Sterling on a Deltrol system. (Deltrol is too short to use with Sterling system i think) Thanks goes to Amocerino on setting that issue str8 for me on a different thread and I think he was the one who called me back from Curtis (Great Rep!!). Got a new one in now and the drop is quicker with sharper response when i hit the lowering button.

BTW if you wanna try the valves without buying one 1st just swap the suspected culprit with another one on there. The sno-pro 3000 uses 2 short ones and 2 long ones. So you could just switch long with long or short with short... as long as the function works for the other valve. Will save you $100+ for the part if it ends up been something else.

Also if yours doesn't want to drop at all it could possibly be a problem with electrical. Take a look at that link Cotter posted. Had never seen it before and was much more helpful that the troubleshooting in the plow manual. Saved it to my PC for future use. Thanks again Cotter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011