1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

in need of some help with 97 dodge ram

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nicksproperty89, Nov 15, 2011.

1. nicksproperty89

nicksproperty89 Junior Member

i have a 97 dodge ram 1500 reg cab long box, has the 5.2, and i am looking to put a plow on it, i was thinking 3/4 ton springs for starters, anyone know of anything else i should think of doing? i also have a aux fan i am going to install for better cooling, and also what size plow i would be able to run, i was hoping for an 8 foot plow

2. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

I have a 2001 and put the 3/4 ton springs from a diesel truck under mine I also had to put 1 1/2 spacers under the rear to level the truck. They work great my plow barely drops the front end. I wouldn't put anything bigger than a 7 1/2 foot plow on unless your going to put a 3/4 ton axle under the front. You don't say but I assume your truck is 4X4. I would add a tranny cooler as well.

3. nicksproperty89

yes it is 4x4 and thanks for the input

4. nicksproperty89

also if im not mistaken it already has a tranny cooler from the factory

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Like stated change the springs, make sure you address the cooling system, the 1500's don't have the same system as the 2500's do and don't like the plow on the front, They heat up fast and easy, So def put the aux cooling fan on there, And also look into an HD fan clutch for better cooling. If it does not have a trans cooler on it put one on A.S.A.P. And for gods sake don't beat the truck to death, Take her slow and plow with the storm.

6. nicksproperty89

^^^ do you happen to know who makes a hd fan clutch? or whare i can pick one up? i have a electric fan out of a car i junked and had in my old 2000 chevy 2500 plow truck, kept it pretty cool.

also, i saw someone on here selling a plow mount, and they said that the 1500 and 2500 mounts are interchangeable? is this true?

7. THEGOLDPRO

Ill look into the HD fan clutch, And yes the mounts are interchangeble from the 1500 to the 2500.

8. nicksproperty89

Can I get a 8' western uni mount or would that be too heavy?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. nicksproperty89

and does anyone know where i can get new 2500 coil springs? guy at the part store could not find them in the system, just coils for a truck with a 5" lift.....

10. THEGOLDPRO

I would stick with a 7.5 footer.

11. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I had a 8ft uni mount on my old 1500. I kept the Dana 44 axle, but modified everything else. That was a lot of plow for that truck so I wouldn't recommend it! 3/4 ton springs and a 7 1/2 ft plow should be great. I did still have overheating problems even with a trans cooler. Good luck!

12. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

13. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I have a 95 1500 I have a Meyer lotpro 7.6 I agree a 8 foot would be too much for mine or your truck just with the 7.6 I need to have it angled to the right or I start to over heat I will be adding scopes to my hood to help this out

14. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

i put 2500 diesel coils on my truck and run an 8 foot fisher mm1, and will soon b e upgrading to a brand new 8 foot mm2. stock axle and everything is just fine. truck plows amazing with the plow as big as it is!

15. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

16. RustyRam

RustyRam Junior Member

New springs, call the Dodge dealership. I think they are insane? Call around the yards or look on E bay. I got a set of used 2500 V-10 springs for $63 delivered 4 my '99 qc. That was a great price too. Haven't installed them yet & the plow frame is only a few inch off the ground. Meyers 7'6 '. Not a large heavy duty plow. There is also a left/right side spring. I think the one with the tag is driver side? Our '94 1500 ST 5.2 plow/shop truck has run a meyers 7' 6" for ever. Every fall I have 2 pallets of pellets loaded in the bed (2 ton) and drive them 60 miles at 70+ mph with the plow hanging off the front (ballast) lol in 40*+ temps to my sister in Buffalo. NEVER had the engine temp gauge exceed 200, weather it is loaded or not. Plow in any position. Headlights pointed to the sky, no steering response to speak of rear tires bulging bad, and I been doing that for a decade or more for her. No problems. Thankfully.
    I have only ever had/have, my 88 Ramcharger overheat. Its the only one I cant drive over 50 mph for more than 10 or 12 miles if its above 40. It is plumb worn right out. It plows lot all day, any temp. In its defense, the plow is a 8' 6" or 9' western pro that looks like a sheet of plywood & pins the frame to the suspension when you lift it. Barely squeezes thru barn door & that 9' x 11. If yours does however overheat, why not ditch the mechanical fan and get a HD dual elec fan/shroud from say Summit and add a IDK? 4 core or maybe V-10 radiator IF you still need to? The fan alone will add 1.6 ish MPG bump yr round. Free up 5 to 15 hp too. Not confident a HD fan clutch is available.
    Put all your $ into the biggest baddest Heaviest Duty trans cooler $ can buy! Do not cheap out on your $1800 to rebuild your tranny! Just don't. Heat kills them. And theres no such thing as a good used one. Change the trans fluid & filter at the same time. Im sure if you buy a plow thats not to big you wont have overheating issues. Air has to get to the radiator, nothing else matters and you will overheat. Of the 2 dozen or so Rams I've had in 30+ yrs of plowing I've only had 1 that overheats. It just doesn't get air to it on the open rd.
    And you gotta have a yellow strobe! No plow truck is complete with out it. Keep us posted on your progress, take pix and ask lots of questions. Theres lots of good experienced ppl on here to help you.

17. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I've got the front springs off of my '01 2500 QC I'll sell you if you are interested. I upgraded to even heavier duty springs and these are just going to be taking up space.

18. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I have a set out of my 01 qc that id give ya. the problem is that they got replaced because they were completely bagged out. used springs are kinda like used underwear. you can put them on if you want, but i wouldn't recommend it ;-).

I went with supercoils when I upgraded mine, but I dont know what they make for the 1/2 ton applications. When I looked at doing mine I also went to the dealership and priced a set of stock 01 springs for my diesel and didn't think the price was too bad. I would say call around to several dodge dealerships and get price quotes.

I think the biggest problem you are going to have is with the tranny. I would say that you do need the HD fanclutch and the aux trany cooler but I also think that before you put the plow on you need to have the tranny serviced by a reputable shop. Have them change the fluid and filter and have them adjust the bands. that part is very important. you must specify that they check and adjust the bands or they will not do it. it will probably cost a little extra but it will ensure that you start out in good shape. When I bought my dodge I spoke with my tranny guy and he told me not to be scared to plow with it but to be SURE to have the tranny serviced and the bands adjusted every year.

19. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

again. i have diesel coils, and run an 8' plow without a problem. i have a HD tranny cooler that is for a diesel. but i dont have the hd fan clutch, and ive never overheated even at 70-75 mph on I95 when i bought my plow in feb. 2010.