1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In like a lamb out like a lion???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flakesmeangreen, Mar 20, 2002.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Isn't it the other way around? Maybe Mother Nature needs to schedule an appointment with Dr Melfi? It's snowing?!?!? 2 1/4" outside now, looks like the plow's going on (3" residential trigger). I really hate such a late season storm with the ground being thawed so well (gravel drives). Whatever...let's plow!!!

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Looks to warm here. May do some salting or sanding as we get into the night if it gets colder. Snowing all day but melting on contact.

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We have a foot predicted for tomorrow night, here.

I hate late season storms.... warm ground, subs not available, sidewalk guys can't be found....

Worse yet... Peggy will be in Peoria at ALCA Student Career Days... so, I'm on my own.....

4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Lets see, I've heard 0", 1"-3" or 3"-6". I guess I am supposed to pick and get back to the weather men. I just drove my new loader out of the garage to scare it away.

mvc-254s.jpg

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Just got a call from my wife saying that one of my lots is starting to get a little accumulation. Will be going on a salt run to check them all. Have put my crew on standby for tonight incase I need to call them in. That should scare it away for sure.

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Pittsburgh NWS website says: THURSDAY....(yada yada yada), NO SNOW ACCUMULATION.....

THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. BRISK.

LOWS 15 TO 20. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

John Allin says:

So, John, would you consider standing outside with a big piece of cardboard or something and fanning about six inches of your snow in a southerly direction? 120-130 miles or so should do it. It might help both of us out....

7. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Guess I jinxed it? Went out to check on the accounts and all of a sudden the temperature jumped up a few degrees, snow turned to rain and there was only about 2" everywhere (down from 3"). Hit a few of them to see whats what and ended up doing more damage than good (gravel)! Was trying to at least hit all the seasonals so they didn't think I forgot about them but it all proved useless. Even when you try to do good sometimes it just doesn't work :( And I forgot how much a PITA a daytime snowstorm is!

I really hope winter's over!!!

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the last plowable event of the season is long past for me - Monday there was snow falling but it warmed up and turned to drizzle, same thing happened today. Just enough snow to make everything wet and messy, and since I weld for a living (outdoors much of the time) I hate wet, messy days! :mad:

Set the "circus tent" up today when it began snowing - tarp over where I was working - so was able to stay dry. :D

Although I have heard the word "snow" in the forecast for later this week I don't think it will amount to anything pushable. The plow is still accessible, though, "just in case"..............

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I thought that they said this storm will reach you 75 up there or at least the top of Vermont.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

was suppose to snow here today. got an inch of rain and that puts us at 3 inches for the month.

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Weather service just posted a heavy snowfall warning for my area, guess I get to wear some rust off the old plow one more time!

Bill

12. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

what is all this white stuff? this is the biggest storm of the year. 10"-12" by the time that is done!!!

13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

funny type storm. it snowed this morning, rained, and switched back to snow. very localized accumulation wise. both the state and towns were out in certain areas salting and plowing. didnt accumulate much on the roads.

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Couple inches here, on the deck where there's no ground heat to melt it. Pavement is still showing through in places. Forecast is for upper 20s tonight. I'll probably just use the little hopper and do a high speed pass during the night, 5-10 lbs/1,000 sf.

15. dany

dany Member

Up here in maine were supposed to get about 3-5 inches and although u plowers tend to hate these late storms hear in maine we will take what ever we can get for percipitation due to the drought.

16. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

dany we were both wrong 8" total what a mess !

17. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Ended up with 2" then turned to rain. Found out that my Pro-Tech snow pusher makes a real good squeegee!!

18. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

What a wacky system! Absolutely nothing at my house, not on the pavement, nor the grass. After dinner last evening I get two calls from residents 10 miles west, "Did you forget about us?" so playing it cool tell em I'm en route. Saddle up, take a 10 minute ride, lo and behold 3+ inches everywhere so I did 20 residentials and three parking lots before finishing up around midnight.

Coming home, strangest thing, top of hills everyone was completely snow-covered a 1/4 mile down the hill there was nothing...go figure but at least the rent got paid for April and I used up the rest of the winter fuel lol.

19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

8" overnight. What a mess - felt more like driving a bull dozer than a snowplow. Tried lifting the blade about an inch but still would up with grooves. It was so heavy that even the one ton had trouble pushing more than 30-40' worth. Then when I'd angle to push it off, I'd wind up with a rut in the driveway (gravel). Hope that this is the end of it for this season.

20. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Got 6'' by the time I was done there was only 2.5'' of slush. Again no need to salt. Still have half my pile of salt mix, oh well less to buy next year.