1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In-house repairs vs. farmed-out repairs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FourDiamond, Dec 21, 2011.

1. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Just wondering how many other operators do their own repairs on trucks and equipment vs. how many send things out to get fixed. I'm of the school, if I can can fix it. I'm too cheap or stubborn to pay someone else to do it. Other guys tell me, Send it out, you can make more money doing something else. What does everyone else think??

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I usually fix most of my own stuff. If I paid someone to fix everything that was wrong w my trucks and plows, I'd be in the poor house. Most of my equipment is the same, I like to keep it like that for the ease of interchanging if need be. It also helps when you are working on one project and you arent sure how things are supposed to be put back together and you can look at the other truck or plow or what ever..It also helps when you break down at 3 am and you have half an idea what is wrong or how to fix it....

3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

It is all the matter of "what is your time worth", if you could be working and making more an hour then it is costing you to have it fixed then, pay someone to do it. JMO

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have my limitations. I love turning wrenches but normally I'm busy running my business and dont have time to do in depth repairs or projects. Hire out for most.

That been said I have a fabricator buddy and a mechanic buddy,who love to work for 20$ an hour.

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I send it to a mechanic. I get a good rate cause everything goes there
    I don't even do oil changes

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

We do 90% in house, plows-trucks-blowers, you name it. Our biggest problem is everything is 1994 to 1999 k 1500/2500, simple, all the same. Some day I guess I will have to move up to the 2000's or maybe just wait and see whats on hand in 2015!

7. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Most in house if I have time. If not I send it out on trade for work its a win win. Like my fuel pump was 1200 and tofix a few other
    things free plowing this year. I over seed his yeard in the spring.

I love my Z

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say about 90% in house as well. our only limitations is a proper shop. some of our trucks, equip. cant even get into the garage. so depending upon the time of year, a simple brake job will get sent out due to me not freezing my a** off. we are extremely lucky tho, we have some really good suppliers that can fix anything we through at them so downtime is fairly minimal.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

depends on the tools and skill level to fix it!...always a learning experience to do it yourself if time allows...but it's up to you to decide in your situation

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

We do 95% to 98% in house. I don't have a tire machine or an alignment rack or else it would be 100%.

Like stated before, if you have the mechanical knowledge to do the stuff, it pays to do it. Although, there have been times that I have taken stuff to a mechanic because I can't pay myself to do it that cheap too.

11. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

if you have the know how to do it yourself then i would say why not do it yourself...we send all of our stuff out, we have a good relationship with the dealership, we do all their mowing, chemicals, etc...i usually can't tackle most of the jobs anyways, for example one of our dodges is in the shop right now getting a lot of front end work done, i wouldn't even know where to start, plus you would have to have all of the tools, shop, and time to do it let alone parts which the dealership usually has on hand...even oil changes on the diesels are a pain in the ass, you have to collect 15 quarts of used oil then take it somewhere...not to mention the spark plugs on a diesel, talk about pain in the ass :laughing:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  12. dieselss

Now I figured you had a full shop Phil. Don't even have a drive on rack. Scheech, you disappoint me. Huff puff. :)

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Mostly 95% inhouse unless were booked solid and I need the machine right away and even then I don't have a problem working at the shop till the we hours in the morning to make it happen.. Send it out for tires and safetys and that's about it...

14. dieselss

You mean DOT inspections triple?

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

LOL!!! Yep, no alignment rack...

yet. :nod: Give it time. Give it time.

16. dieselss

I hate alignments with. Passion!! That's probably my most hated job to do. Id pay whatever to have someone do it for me :)

17. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

For me, it depends on if it's covered under warranty or not. Not under warranty, I'm busting my knuckles up. Under warranty, They can deal with it. :mechanic:

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Yellow sticker annual safety inspections is what we have here in Canada

19. dieselss

Oh ok... I do a majority of all our DOTs in house. Bigger or cdl trucks I ship

20. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

Minor, non-operational (tailgate repair/battery replacement) repairs needed for driveable equipment usually gets done in house. Repairs needed that directly effect the operation of driveable (road) equipment gets done by a licensed mechanic. For liability reasons alone it's the smart choice.