1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In Grand Rapids now!!! Sub Zero....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Feb 2, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Heh, guys, I've been talkin' 'bout coming up here for a while. I'm here now and I really feel overwhelmed. The fact of the matter is that with the windchill it's like -5 to -20 below now. Neither meijer or Target up here had facemasks or skimasks. I don't know why they didn't since it snows so much here. It's plenty to shuvel/remove but no-one was out doing it. I guess they are waiting for the snow to stop or something. Most the people up here may already have contracts. Or they'll just do it themselves. Does anyone know if it's safe in subzero tempts to be out in it? Will a face mask or scarf be enough to protect the face? I'm thinking about tommorow but how do u do residentials when it's snowing on u at the same time u are removing? It's brutally cold up here. Just seeing if anyone is on and has some ideas to share with me on this. :angel:

2. payton

payton Senior Member

dude go check a sporting good store.. hunting store..
    good luck with your venture.

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Go to Mc Sports 44th & Wilson, near the homedepot, behind rivertown crossings mall.

4. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

stay or go?

THanks for the tip! I may try that. I'm a bit concerned about the -10 to -20 stuff though ( that's including the windchill factor). Will a face mask be enough to protect my face from the brutal cold at those levels? I may just chalk it up to experience and head home to Indy. Unless anyone has any other ideas.:dizzy:

5. payton

payton Senior Member

while at mc sports pick up some under armor.. its gonna be pricey but worth it..
    and rember layers.. lotta thin layers..

run by the army navy store and get a pair of mickey mouse boots. some of the best cold weather boots made!

as far as not getting frost bite.. keep as much covered as possible.. goggles over eyes..

keep some vaseline or other thick petrolium product to cake on anything you cant keep covered.

payton

6. payton

payton Senior Member

ya know sometimes ya just gotta ask if its worth it.. you've been sittin in a motel in mi. for what now going on 2 days have ya made any cash yet? if not i think its time to tuck your tail between your legs and head home.. some times it takes a bigger person to admit failure.

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Comon you wimp. Its not that cold. Lol. Its not bad until the wind comes, I just got home (on S.E. Michigan) and its -15, but it doesnt feel like that, its almost relaxing in a certain way. I didnt even use the heat on the way home. lol. Good luck.

BTW: did you come up to grandrapids hoping for snow and work?

8. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Eskimo territory

Well 15 below ( from what they say ) can get u frost bite within 5 minutes of exposure from what I heard on the news. So like the other guy says, sometimes it's just not worth it. I'm new to this thing and just wanted to try and make some $ while also checking out G.R. I love to travel but in this kind of weather it's really messy and sorta silly I guess. I've got my g.f. with me as a partner and she's pretty dependable, but not like a dude. I just hate to take a chance on her getting bit. Maybe if I was with someone experienced in this field I'd have more confidence but I feel pretty much alone when I'm out there. It's going to be snowing virtually all day it looks like from the forcast anyway. Will people really pay to have their drives cleared even if the snow is still comming? Wouldn't they wait 'til it stops? Cause if they do it once at like 10am and then another 4 inches comes down by the evening, they'd just have to do it again. This biz is no joke. I have a lotta respect for u guys who have stuck with it. But in my defence, I saw NO ONE out yesterday blowing or shuveling. All I saw was plows. So in a way I was like "what the hell am I doing out here anyway?":blush2:

9. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Learning experience

Thanks Payton for the advice and all! I hadn't even thought about a hunting store or sporting goods place. It's nice 2 see that a fellow Indianapolitan cares. I'm learning a lot about weather, snow, and forcasting that I'd never knew through all this so I don't count it as a complete loss. Plus I kinda wanted to see the Ford museum and other attractions up here anyhow. Had planned on making some hundreds while up here to fit and bill and then some, but oh well, sometimes that's just how it goes. I've only spent one night here. I'm still here actually, can't get back 2 sleep. So my losses are not much over $100. If only it would snow in the night mainly and stay above zero, things would be ideal. But I'm learning that u have to be ready for anything in this biz. How long have u been doing this Payton? Do u have contracts or go randomly or? U have throwers and shuvels and/or do u use a truck and plow? I'm thinking 'bout doing lawn care in the spring but seems I'd have to invest in truck. Or maybe landscaping. Do u do those things too? How 'bout them Colts?:nod:

10. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I don't know about blowing in those temps. I think I would take a pass but I will be the first to admit I am whimp I get cold when it is 70 out.

I think your best bet is, if you can get the cold weather gear is to grab a phone book start dialing plow companies. See if they need anyone to do walks. You will at least make something and maybe you can pick up some drives after the strom stops. At least this way the trip won't be a complete bust.

Good Luck

11. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

and...

Ha, haa, cold at 70? Well u understand what I'm saying then. It's a good idea 'bout the plowers and callin' em. In this weather I don't think I'd get out for less than $25/hr. I'm outta here. Ate too much cheese curls, candy, and McDonalds; my stomach is upset. It can be tough to eat healthy on the road. Thanks man for the encouragement :salute:

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would never drive in order to shovel but just southwest of you in South Haven and a bunch of small towns inland they have got up to 2 feet in the last couple of days from the lake effect machine blowing over them.

Heck even if you went south on US 131 to Kalamazoo they are getting some snow now as well I believe.

If you go to Kalamazoo call a place called DeVisser landscaping on 9th street and tell em you are looking to be on a shovel crew.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

They say that they can have a few feet in Grand Rapids over this weekend. That is what the weather channel is saying.

14. mark m

mark m Junior Member

at least 2-3 feet up and down the west coast of michigan!!!!!!!
    get that phone book out...YOU WILL FIND WORK!!!!
    been real busy for the past 3 days. just dress in layers and go for it
    take care
    mark:salute: :nod: payup

15. doh

doh Senior Member

-41F here with the wind chill, -31F out of the wind, suck it up dude were up north now.

16. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Blizzard in Grand Rapids MI

If I woulda had one a u guys w/me I prolly woulda stayed. but I had my g.f. It was whiteout/blizzard conditions. I'm thankful I even got out of the city! I was hoping for 2-4 inches of snow not a blizzard and -20 deg windchills! It was extremely easy here in Indy a few weeks ago when it was like 25 deg, no wind, and 2-4 inches. But then of course that was dream conditions for a snow remover. All I really needed I think was a stronger partner and a good ski mask/goggles and I think I'd have been alright. But it was a nightmare trying to get outta that blizzard! Cars all over were sliding off the roads and u couldn't see anything in front of u but snow often times and had to rely on tire tracks just 10-20 ft in front of car. I just got in over my head. I'm a rookie. Those conditions are best left to the veterans.:salute:

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

It is a learning experience and you got to drive in some mean snowfall conditions.

It is better then sitting at home wondering what if.

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Im with you i was out yesterday till about 8:30pm then this morning from 3:30am till about 6:30am It was -2 this morning and -15 - -20 with windchill but if you dress right its not that bad!!!!Now i was in a loader this morning and a Bobcat yesterday but the Bobcat only had on eof them cheap plastic cabs.
    But you would not catch me snow blowing for $20.00 per hour i would have left also!

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Screen shot of the temp here this morning on the Accu Weather gauge down there.

screenshot2-5-07.GIF

screenshot2-5-07.GIF