1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In cab wiring help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Mar 23, 2010.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Okay I got a 98 chevy I just installed a new fold out DVD head unit with back up camera, now my question is there is a triggered lead wire off the head unit to trigger the back up camera, what is the closest pos+ reverse lead near or around the steering/dash I really don't wanna have to run a wire from the rear of the truck to the front unless I have to. Thanks

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So the camera is wireless? And you need to trigger the camera/screen when you put the truck in reverse? The backup light switch is on the transmission. So you can dig into the harness there if you want to, but I would leave that closed up and run another 10 feet of wire to the back of the truck and tap into the trailer harness. Reverse is the light green wire.

3. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

No it's not wireless it works with a singal rca

camera has 7 LEDs that has to run to the reverse trigger in the rear to work in the dark.

Head unit has a trigger wire that switchs the screen from nav. Radio, DVD, cd, sd ect.
    To the camera screen then back to what ever you were doing at the time, it's low voltage so a small
    wire would do the job, I just wanted to try in keep it simple.

4. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Simple! just go through the firewall and look in the harness coming out of the fuse block, there are likely 2 light green wires, one for the truck reverse signal and one for the 7-way trailer plug if you have it. splice in right there and you should be golden. or if you dont want to cut in to the harness you can use an add-a-fuse in one of the reverse fuse slots. hope that helps!

5. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Thanks anyways, I just bought a $5 roll of 18gage wire and just ran it back with my salt spreader harness, I got it all done today, I will try in post some pics of it all in the next few days.

6. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

hey not a problem, look forward to seeing some pics!

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

so you are trying to power the camera in the back of the truck with a reverse light trigger? if so pull the trigger off the 7 pin trailer harness. if you are trying to pull a trigger in the cab for the actual radio there should be one in the dash.

8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I pulled power from the back up lamp for the camera, but in the cab when I put the truck in reverse the radio switch's automatically to the back up camera and when I put back in drive it goes back to what ever screen it was on the screen such as NAV, DVD, CD, SD or radio, I love it, I got 2 cameras, one for my bumper and one mounted to my salt spreader, so all I gotta do now the way I got it hooked up is put salter on the truck, hook up power connectors and hook up a singal RCA, and I'm good to go.

Salter is almost all sanded and should be ready for paint in the next few days, I would like to show off my work...lol

By the way I wanted to tie into reverse circuit in the cab but did't know which wire to tie into so a $5 roll of wire fixed all that, just ran it to the back.

Pics soon

9. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i hear that. but i know there has to be a wire in the dash probably coming out of the column. but whatever it is working so who cares!