1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In A Pickle!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DSLND, Sep 14, 2009.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Ok, got a dilema. Exactly what I didn't want to happen this year.

I know I haven't posted in a while, so I will update you on what has happened.

I now own two trucks.

99 Chevy 2500 ext. cab/short bed, 4x4,6.0L Gas 135k miles (One i bought a few years ago)

Also have a 93 Chevy K1500 5.7L 4x4, reg. cab/long bed. 204k miles.

93 Chevy has a Western 7'-6" UniMount already mounted (came with truck, main reason I bought it)

So I use the '99 for personal use mainly, and the 93 for towing around the mowing equipment and such. I've wanted a work truck since last year and I found the 1/2 Ton and got a great deal on it. Its just not as reliable as I would like it be and I plan on upgrading to a more reliable work truck next year.

So I was going to put a UniMount mount/wiring harness on the 99 Chevy and use it as a backup. Called today, and they don't make the mount anymroe......:gunsfiring:

Found one on eBay, $600 for mount only. No hardware, no wiring, nothing more than the mount. So i told the dealer that, and he says at minimum $1600-1700 for labor, wiring harness, etc. Is that really worth it?

I would love to go finance a newer work truck, but for those who aren't aware, I'm still a few years away from being 18.

So what to do?

Try and trade the 93? for what? I prob. could get a loan for $5k max.

Mount it on the 99? Spend over $2k just for that? What about when I get a newer work truck? Theres another $2k for mounting if the truck mounts I already have don't fit....

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Mitch, dealer around here said $400 as long as you have all the truck side components already. They are right though, they no longer manufacture the unimount truck mount. You could get the ultramount and then there is a unimount conversion. I would just go and hit up craigslist. You should be able to find a chevy mount / unimount wiring fairly easy, especially as we get closer to winter. Shouldnt have to spend much over $500 for mount/wiring.
  3. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

Hey Mitch!

Cuttinitclose from lawnsite, (Ian from Toulon). You should go over there and give us an update.

As for this thread I would look for a different truck to put the plow on and sell the '93 outright as you could probably get more money. JMO.