1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In a jamb.. can I substitute Hyd Fluid in my e47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by berg, Jan 29, 2013.

1. berg

berg Member
    from utah

top seal is puking oil and the nearest meyer dealer with oil is 60 miles away.

can I substitute hyd jack oil or ?? to get by and will it mix with the meyer M stuff?

got a get her back on the road tonight and finish plowing.

temps are in the 20s and 30's and I think we are past the deep freeze we had so

opinions appreciated.

thanks in advance
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any major plow brand hydraulic fluid would be OK. Or jack oil. Or ATF.....

Grab some Meyer Hydra Flush when you pick up the correct fluid. Or you could change to a fluid that's locally available like Fisher, Boss, Western, etc. Either way, the Hydra Flush is a good idea.
  3. berg

berg Member
    from utah

since the system is not completely empty is it ok to mix the atf in with it?

I have some on hand...

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

most people advise against atf in meyer because it foams....you will need light weight hdy fluid
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on how desparate you are. ATF is certainly better than not plowing. Many guys run ATF in all electric systems no issues. I would run ATF in a pinch, especially if it's bleeding badly.
  6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

There was a time when all I ran was ATF in leaky E47's. Usually added a cap full of rubbing alcohol to help keep it from freezing up in colder temps, but don't use too much or it can dry out your seals.

It will foam up depending on temps & moisture getting into the system (off the rams), but it wouldn't phase me to run it for a few nights. I didn't even know there was a flush...sounds like a good idea. 25 years ago, we flushed w/ kerosene.
  7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I ran motor oil once for a couple hours. Don't be scared v just flush, repair and refill ASAP.
  8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Don't go with too heavy/thick of an emergency oil. Your plow pump is only suitable for extremely light hydraulic fluid and will struggle like you wouldn't believe with, for example, tractor oil.
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Around here tractor suppy & napa have some plow parts in stock, they carry the SAM plow fluid which would be fine I'm sure.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mixing fluids is never good particularly in cold temps.
  11. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

DO NOT put hydraulic jack oil in your plow. I bought a used Blizzard a couple years ago and the guy put jack oil in the thing and fried the pump....
  12. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

U can use atf in a pinch. I used to use atf exclusively for years. Never had a problem.
  13. natureguy

natureguy Junior Member
    from indiana

snow plow fluid is military spec 5606 hydraulic fluid. it is used in many modern day aircraft hydraulic systems due to its low freezing temperatures. it is red in color, but the plow manufacturers add a dye to it to make it green, blue, or whatever color they prefer...i use it in my plows and never have a problem. in a pinch, if there is an airport nearby, see if someone will bum you a quart!
  14. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Federated auto parts sells a generic quick lift plow oil. It is what I use in all the trucks.
  15. jasonv

from kannada

How do you figure it was damaged by the jack oil?
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Eats the seals, they are not compatible. Had a customer add floor jack oil to get a plow from his home to my shop made it a couple miles before the plow dropped and wouldn't lift. the fluid came out with strings of O-rings/seals in it. had to clean and rebuild. NEVER use hydraulic jack oil in a plow pump..
  17. jasonv

from kannada

Very interesting. I just did a quick scan of the interwebz and can't find any corroboration on this. If you only saw it happen once, I have to wonder if the problem was caused by the jack oil, or if the jack oil was just being used to refill something that was already in the process of failing. If it came out with strings, that would obviously the be from the cylinder packing, since that is all that would be fibrous.

I'd love to see some technical data on this.

FWIW: http://www.canadiantechnician.com/products.cfm?intDocID=2942
    This jack oil markets itself specifically for use in snow plows.

And hydraulic jacks have hydraulic cylinders, rubber o-rings, and rubber seals... like plows. I wonder what would make them so different?

Edit: More research and I'm becoming more skeptical about jack oil being a problem. From what I can tell, its just plain old AW32 hydraulic fluid.
    Edit2: jack oil CAN'T fry the pump. The pump is just a gear pump. You could put rhinoceros piss in it and it won't fry.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He is probably refering (as many do) to the entire power head as the "pump."

Dependant upon the fomulation some hydraulic jack oils may well be a suitable fluid but you should NEVER mix fluids and why risk the unknown when there are so many other suitable fluids.
  19. jasonv

from kannada

Commercial plowing on a sunday night when there aren't any plow stores open. But yeah, I generally agree with you on this one.

My mind is hungry for knowledge, which is why I question everything.