1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

In a Jam Please HELP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BradJFelix, Feb 2, 2002.

1. BradJFelix

BradJFelix Junior Member

I was out plowing last night for a friend who is Florida. The truck is a dakota and it has a 6'6" Western plow on it when one of the hydraulic Lines Blew. I replaced the line and tried to refill the fluid. I spoke with a guy that told me to fill it up where lines come there is a little hex screw there. The plow is taking a long time to angle I can hear it working and eventually it will kick in a move. I wasn't sure if I was doing everything properly. I also am not sure if there is a special procedure for refilling the system or if that is the correct spot to fill it.I am not really sure what exactly I am supposed to do when I am trying to refill as much fluid as I lost. I appreciate any help that you can give me thanks in advance

It was working fine till the line blew so I don't know?????

Last edited: Feb 2, 2002
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

BradJFelix - go to the top of this page and click on "Snowplowing Contractor's Network". The scroll down to the "Modifications" section and there is a link to changing fluid. That should help you. Then say "Thanks, Chuck".

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Brad - I haven't used a Western pump for a few seasons now, and mine was an o-l-d unit, not quite sure what "fill it up where lines come there is a little hex screw there" means - not trying to be a smart***, just not sure what's meant by that: I seem to recall on my old pump the fill plug being near the base of the motor, on top of the main body of the unit as opposed to over where the lines attached.

I think there may be a bit of air in the hydraulic system, to be expected if you replaced a line, at the end of the info that Mick referred to is info on how to get the air out.

4. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Brad,
    try the previous ideas. If that doesn't help, try calling B&P Supply, 260 Columbus Ave, in Pittsfield( in the book). I don't have any experiance with Western's but some of my close friends do, and recomend B&P.
    Good Luck,
    Matt

P.S. I'm In Lenox

5. BradJFelix

BradJFelix Junior Member

Here's The Deal

This is what happens and I don't know what I am doing wrong. When I put the fluid and to my understanding the fill hole for the pump is located to the right of the pump if you are facing the pump where the lines go out to the angling cylinders is where the fill hole is at least that is what I was told. Now when I put the fluid in it only takes a tiny bit at a time. When I try to angle the plow any way except right I hit the joystick I hear the pump run and nothing happens I unscrew the fill hole and fluid usually comes bubbling out and I mean it is bubbling. I understand that this is because of air what I am having a hard time doing is getting the air out with out losing all the fluid that I put in. Now when I angle the plow the right what happens is the little amount of fluid that I did put in is being sucked down, the plow doesn't move at all for a long time and most of the time it doesn't move at all unless I sit there for a while and hold it in the postion. SO far i have only gotten it to move to the left a little bit enough so that its straight now. The fluid should hopefully be going to the left cylinder if you were in the drivers seat. What i don't understand is why does the fluid only go down when I try and angle the plow to the right. I understand I think about trying to suck the fluid out of the canister to get the angling cylinder full. Deattach both lines at the pump and try to move the plow on my own which I hope I can do. I take one line and stick it in the fluid and then move the plow so that draws the fluid up like I was drawing a syringe then reattach it correct. Because if I don't when I do the other side it's just going to push it out correct. Thanks for the help guys this really sucks. Anyone know about how much fluid this whole Fiasco will take?????

6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Is it a Western "Unimount" plow? If so, the fill hole should be on top of the resevoir (sp?) on the LEFT side of the unit (as you are facing it) - right next to the motor. It will have a square headed bolt and you'll need a 7/16" open end wrench to get it off. Fill up with fluid (it shouldn't take much), move the plow up and down and side to side a few times and check it again.

Also, what kind of fluid are you using to refill it?

I doubt you'll be able to move the thing by hand to suck fluid into the cylinder. That trick doesn't seem to work on the newer westerns, (at least not for me...).

Good luck, let us know.

7. BradJFelix

BradJFelix Junior Member

I fixed it Guys

Guys thanks for the help the guy at the auto store told me the wrong the location on the fill hole it's right on top of the pump I I was like hmmm I wonder what the little bolt it for and well I didn't know I am all new to this ****. I poured about a quart and a half of fluid and she runs like a top thanks again guys I really appreciate it