1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

improving on the intensifiers

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by blakerugg, Dec 11, 2012.

1. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

i find myself really missing the tint i had on my windshield all summer long (the fuzz and a cracked windshield ended that) and was thinking about having it put back on. for those who care i have 15 on the sides and had 30 or 35 on the windshield.

The HIDs in my headlights make it fine to have the windshield tinted, the only time it sucked was pouring rain at night in the city (mostly because all the other lights around make it worse).

I need to look at some different options for upgrading the bulbs in the intensifiers so that i can try to run the tinted windshield. any input?

-i was thinking about doing HIDS, around 6k, but then i heard the white light isn't good in near whiteout or whiteout conditions. i wouldn't know, my plow has always been on in white conditions since ive had the hids installed.
    -another option is a lower kelvin hid such as 4500. anyone try this?
    -silverstar bulbs or similar, different color ratings?

i know this topic has been brought forward before but i want more input and new input on the matter. thanks, blake
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Soooo, just so we're clear; you want to compensate for your tinted windshield by trying to make your plow lights brighter??

(shaking head) .......... (shaking head) ..........I would say to air on the side of caution here and forget the damn tint on the windshield. Does RI even consider that to be legal?? I don't even think that's legal in FL...let alone NE. Side windows are one thing, but windshields... The fact that you had a hard time with visibility during the pouring rain, should be a key indication as to how dangerous that combination could be during a white out; driving down the road with a 8' snow plow hanging off the front of your truck, when driving conditions are far from ideal....Com'on...really.?.? This is the kind of mentality that makes the roads more deadly...for no reason.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Well said RepoMan , that post had me wondering too. " I cant see out my tinted windshield what can I do ?"
  4. Agreed here too....then there's the whole possibility of frying the iso mod running HIDs.
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with repo,and motorman.Being a licensed state inspector in the state of Massachusetts you can't have any tint below the AS-1 on the windshield.It is printed on the windshield on the drivers side in the upper left corner by the a-pillar.If your looking to let less light in the cab I would recommend putting a lund windshield visor on it,It will keep the cab cooler in the summer as well not letting in as much sunlight rather then an open tinted windshield.As far as the HIDs in the plow lights I wouldn't do it that bright light is going to bounce of your plow or off the snow and drive you crazy after awhile.Not to mention what it could do to your isolation module.