1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Improving backdragging results?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Dec 18, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What are some techniques for improving the quality of my brack dragging?

Besides the extra cutting edge on the rear of the blade, anything else? Does the mounting height on the plow affect the peformance?

Oh and it is my Meyer C8.5..

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Since I am driving towards the garage anyway, I will drop the blade and push up towards the door, stop about 5ft back lift it up pull over ther pile and drag it back. That works if its heavy wet snow, usually I can just drag it back without a problem. Some say that takes too long, but if you're driving up there anyway it seems more efficient than backing in, and scraping then turning around and pushing it away. I cant push accross the street or pile the snow on neighbors property either, so thats the best way I have foundto do it thus far.
  3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

get a backplow you will have happy customers( scrapes clean ) and the time saved quickly makes up for the 2000 $ price
  4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I don't backdrag any garages...All are parking spots in apartment complexes. Very tight as it is, some of the traffic lanes are 15 wide, I can barely line up for a back drag as it is.
  5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

exactly like snowybowtie said,
    i do a lot of backplowing in front of garage doors, and what i do is plow towards the door, then raise the plow and lower it on the pile and pull it back far enough so i can back the truck in and push it all out. back plows are nice but some of my residential drives are pretty tight. hard enough to get the jeep (w/6'6" plow)
  6. minnesnowta

minnesnowta Junior Member

Make sure your backdrag blade is vertical when the plow is down.
    If the backdrag is angled away from the truck slightly you may have poor results.
  7. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

They are refering to a dainels or snowman type backplow, not just an edge on the blade.
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

My BOSS V Plow totally stinks at back blading. Just rides right up! I think its the bottom of the moldboard design and how high your pivot is. Plus with the BOSS, the whole center section is only 2" off the ground. This acts like a snow saucer and doesn't let the plow edge touch right away. Kinda has to squish the snow out first.

My MEYER's back blade VERY well compared to the BOSS.

Oh, well. Cant have everything.
  9. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

CHTUCKER, Do you use more than 1 truck? If yes can you outfit 1 truck with a rear mounted pull plow to pull the snow out and use the other to push away? Just throwing it out there. Thanks PT.:waving:
  10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Nope, just little old (feels like it) me. I am new to this and am learning as I go. Never plowed before (except for dad's wheelhorse).

Pretty mechanically inclined. Just was wondering if there was something that I could do technique wise or if the was something set-up modification wise I could do to existing set up. People here are not looking for black pavement, but with that big heavy wet snow we had I couldn't scrape well at all.
  11. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Well if it was a WESTERN ,i have made down-pressure for back dragging, but i have not had time to play with the MEYER.Sorry!! I think if you tried a rear mounted pull plow you would never back drag again!! Good luck PT:waving:
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My plows backdrag excellent since I put the U edges on them.If the snow id real deep i may have to drag twice,but it scrapes down almost as good as going forward.My Boss V backdrags great,as good as my Western straight blade does.
  13. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I agree with John...if its one thing that a U-edge does extremely well is backdrag.

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Has anyone tried a back/pull plow with a poly edge yet?
  15. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Speaking of back-plows...

I just came across this..... has anyone seen or used this type of back-plow.

Just curious...I don't need one but it is always fun to find out about different products.
  16. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Got Grass? i have thought about it but i don't know if the poly edges would hold up to the weight that would be put on them

HerkFE thats not a bad looking backplow,,,, but there are no sides on it, so all the snow is gonna do is trail off the sides.

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I think you have a newer BOSS, right?

On mine, there is only about 2" between the bottom of the center section and the pavement. I think the newer ones have a center shoe (horses hoof) thats about 3-4" high. This would raise your center section a bit higher and eliminating most of my "snow saucer" effect that I have. My C-8 Meyer and all my old St-90 Meyers all backdragged 100% better than this Boss ever could. Not to mention that I don't have the cylinder locks, so in heavy stuff, the wings will fold forward too.

While I'm happy with the BOSS, and dread any extended time behind any straight blade, My next plow will probably be a BLIZZARD.