1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Improved Mileage on Hemi ?????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GreatWhiteNorth, Jan 30, 2009.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of what might improve fuel economy on a 2004 2500 hemi. Love the power but hate the mileage. Thanks.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I gained 3 mpg with an cold air intake, exhaust, and programmer.

3. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

If you had 265/70/17s or 275/70/17s, you can switch to 245/75/17 Load E tire. Less Rolling Resistance and more Load Capacity equals better mileage. If you have the 275/60/20s, sell the package for a swap with the 17s and you'll get some money in your pocket.

The Cold Air Intake, Air Intake Throttle Body Spacer, Exhaust, and Programmer work well. Bed Covers help too. The programmers now that allow Regular Gas instead of Mid-Grade won't save you much MPG, but will cost less to run the cheaper gas.

Lastly, take all the crap out of your truck you dont need. I had jumper cables, tow chains, 7 salt bags, tailgate salter with 5 more bags in it, shovels, etc. I don't need them whens theres snow out, yet they've been in the bed/truck for sometime. Clear it out, weight saves gas. Roughly every 11#s you save is 1 less HP you need. Save 200#s equated to 2.4MPG for me.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

LOL 200# = 2.4 MPG ok.

And if you run tires that small your mpg will suffer at higher speeds.

Also, if you really wanna increase the mileage, swap in a Cummins. LOL jk don't get all bent out of shape.

5. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

You laught, but when you have 200#s of stuff you dont need, your truck is working extra for no reason... Maybe my dakota is more affected by weight then your rams, but it is what I've seen.

And 245/75/17s are the same overall diamater as the 265/70/17s.... so how will your mpg suffer at higher speed? they aren't smaller but skinnier, which means you have less rolling resistance. Go For Load E Tires, and you've actually inreased Load Capabilities froma Tire's perspective. That coupled with the fact if you plow, you want skinnier tires anyways, and you'll see why many go from wider to skinnier while maintaining the same diameter.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The 245/75/17/ is slightly shorter than a 265/70/17 in most cases. And, that is such a small tire to be putting on a 2500 Ram. It will look dumb and the guy won't like it.

7. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Just wondering what you are getting for mileage. I have been getting between 13-14 mpg around town with my '05.

8. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Thats about the norm,Iv owned a couple hemi's 19mpg is as high as iv got on a long trip.12 to 14 is about as good as they get in town.

9. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Yup, I took mine to IL in the fall and got 17 mpg avg on the highway. Not bad for a big truck.

10. GreatWhiteNorth

14mpg is the average. I was very impressed with the cummins. As far as the big 3 go, I think the cummins is the nicest sounding diesel. Load restrictions around here would not alow the diesel though. Even my 7'6" boss straight blade would have put me over weight on the front axle if I had 2 shovelers in the cab. Gotta say though, the hemi has great power. The $10 000.00 I saved between diesel and gas will buy alot of fuel. At least that is what I try and convince myself of.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  11. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Yeah, the Hemi does have a ton of power and I am happy with the mileage i am getting. My last truck was a F150 with the 4.6 in it and I got worse mileage with that truck than this one. I just don't pull anything big enough or often enough to justify buying the diesel.

12. hotshotgoal30

hotshotgoal30 Junior Member

hemi and good gas mileage dont go together. lol but i averaged 14 before i put 35's on it. now im around 12.5 give or take

13. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane Junior Member
    from Ontario

Make sure you keep the fluids changed regularly and use 5w20 oil that is recommended. I can tell by my fuel mileage that its time for an oil change. Cruise control use helps greatly as well.

14. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

if it makes you feel better i am getting 13mpg in my 2006 Cummins...and paying $1 more per gallon

15. GreatWhiteNorth

I thought the diesels were supposed to get better mileage. Is that normal for the diesel?

16. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I got 21mpg on the 06 cummins I had.

17. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Clean your MAP/IAT it should bring you mileage back up. Also keep in mind that Winter Diesel you lose 1-2mpg but you should still be at 16 on Average. Link below explains cleaning and replacements

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/sensors/IAT/clean.htm

18. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

its only got 16,000 miles on it...nothing should need cleaned yet

theres an air intake, and air intake manifold, and superchip flashpaq tuner in the near future for this truck..that should boost it a good bit

19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone consider the cost of the after market products .Are you money ahead when you take a stock truck and "improve"it

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't get a throttle body spacer, its a paper weight in these engines. My friend put the Hypertech Econ programmer on his truck along with a CAI and Cat back exhaust and he has picked up 2-3mpg on average and he has a heavy foot. The Hypertech ECON programmer helped a bunch as it locks up the converter much sooner and changes the shift points.