1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Improved 60" Vplow on Scag walk behind

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Here it is. Mostly done. With a better moldboard (curved, thicker) it will plow better and I also added a real lift lever for it.
    60" wide
    18" high
    adjustable V
    Rubber edge flexes over bumps, cracks, etc. and squeegie's water
    three quick pins and 1/4" bolt (no nut) to install or remove. Mounts to the anti scalp roller axle in front of the deck (52" hydro). It looks like the front of the moldboard is stainless, it might be. It was a 55 gallon drum that I beleive contained vegetable oil so it probably is stainless or something similar. The back is black for no glare. It is very quick and maneuverable with the sulky and has plenty of power, can push 4" dry snow easily and any more you might want to remove the sulky for better traction.
    5.5 mph top speed. Will try to get some better action pics next time it snows (hopefully soon!).
    Eric

feb12#05.jpg

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Looks better than the one with plywood extentions.

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

V position

feb12#06.jpg

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Yea it's alot better. Notice the lights and battery I added too. No alternator so it must be charged when drained. Works good for plowing or lawn work, etc.

feb12#07.jpg

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Need to move a pile?

feb12#08.jpg

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Moving a pile

feb12#10.jpg

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Mount and lift

feb12#03.jpg

8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Here is the simple but effective lift lever and lock. Bolts onto the hydro speed lever and to lock in up position you simply move the lever toward the handlebars when lifted and in the upper left corner you can barely see the bolt that hooks behind the pistol grip. To lower, just pull back and outward and let down. Works good.

feb12#04.jpg

9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

All that's left is to beef up the mounting area. It has some slop in it from wiggling around. Will work on it tomorrow unless it snows, then I'll be pushing.
    Eric

10. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

BushHogBoy

man, you don't kid around when you say you're gonna do something-looks nice-you've inspired me to make a leaf plow for my turf tiger. Think I'll use 2x2 wood frame and window screen.
    By the way, how does the engine do on that w/b. I just picked one up with the 15hp Kohler and 48in deck, hydro like yours.
    I am half expecting it to be underpowered but it was such a good deal i couldn't pass it up.

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

KLC99, I made a snow shovel that is 24" wide with a plastic edge tonite too LOL. It just has a wooden handle with steel cut from plow moldboard leftovers. Alittle heavier duty than your standard plastic one and not the best but it was free and gave me somethin' to do. This plow will work as a leaf plow in the V position too. 2x2 wood would work fine but window screen might be alittle thin depending on how far apart the frame is with the wood.
    As for the Scag, it has a 14hp Kawasaki on 52" deck (hydro). I got it early Jan. so I haven't had much to test it in. Had alittle grass to snip off but not enough to test it and have done some bush-hogging with it and it handled that fine. You should be fine on power, a friend has a 15hp Kohler on a 48" Exmark Turf Tracer hydro with a sulky and mulch kit. He runs it at 4 or 5 mph with mulcher on small lawns and it works great. No loss of power for it, I have run it like that too one day when I helped him. I know a couple other people with similar powered and sized machines they seem to work fine for them. Over on Lawnsite, 65Hoss said he has a 14hp Kawi on a 48" hydro Encore and is running doubles! He did say to put a tach on it and make sure you get your engine RPM's adjusted to maintain speed (adjust the settings) with them though. Said it works fine. Hmmmm......
    Good luck!
    Eric

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Made a new, thicker, stronger frame for it today. It is now "invincible". Sorry bad pic. Wrong camera setting.

feb14#14.jpg

13. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Why use that when you have this parked in your garage BHB?

look at this dork1.jpg

14. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Why continually post pics of that saying it is mine when you could go **** yourself?