1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Imposible to start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Stud Bro, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

OK be for i get 50 replies telling me to plug it in i normally do however this is on the instances when I'm out at deer camp or on a snowmobile trip. To get the truck started you need a set of jumper cables and 20 min dose any one have any advice on things to check it has 2 new optima yellow top batteries and its embarrassing when my Buddy's hop in there Dodge's and Chevy's and they pop right off. Any advice would be great

o its a 99 7.3

2. bsteckel

bsteckel Junior Member

try changing out your glow plug relay .. i also have a 99 psd .. got a replacement from NAPA and it made a huge difference .. very easy to change.

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah its likely the GPR or the glowplugs. I know that was my issue and once it finally did get running there was a plume of white stenchy smoke for about 5 mins. I still think that I have a bad GP or two but the relay made a huge difference.

4. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

It doesn't make any sense that he needs jumper cables to start it. I had a neat trick i did when my 99 wouldn't start. it either requires 2 people or long arms. Carry a can of starting fluid and WHILE CRANKING THE ENGINE (very important, notice the CAP red lettering :) ) spray it into your air filter. This is easy to do just incase you can't get a new GPR right away. You have to be cranking your truck over when you do it just incase your glow plugs are actually working so you won't pop the heads off. It doesn't take much, just a quick 1 - 2 sec shot and it'll fire up.( sometimes it takes a little more, just make sure you crank it over enough to get the starting fluid through there.

The reason for needing the jump tho unless you just keep cranking and cranking because you can't get it to warm up maybe a bad alternator

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  5. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I just crank on it to long once i start it it really doesn't smoke to long i also resistance tested the glow plugs and they all checked out do you guys know about how much the glow plug relay costs? But any way thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it.

6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Autozone show it for about 65 to 75.00

Good luck

7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

first of all avoid cranking longer then like 10sec great way to smoke a starter. there really shouldn't be any white smoke .if fire it up and run in morning without wamup there's gunna white smoke . however if have a fault GPR or a glow plug timer that under the dash . if replace the relay don't get a POS junk part from china auto parts place. glow plugs are big bucks for all 8 of them . ebay has some good deal on motorcraft ones for all 8 i thinki saw set fro like 100 buxs . i forget the factory spec there suppose to be changed. what your mileage on the truck if got over 100k i'd change them . there alot you can do aid in cold weather starting in a deisel . my PSD has never failed me even on the coldest morning if it hooked too a block heater or not .

8. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Tested the relay this morning and it was shot put in the new one and it worked right so i guess now i just have to wait for a cold day to test it out. thanks for all the help guys.