1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by drewguere, Feb 13, 2008.

1. drewguere

drewguere Junior Member

I just wanted to stress the importance of lights.

I almost wrecked a few nights ago because a plower didnt have strobes. I was driving up a road in the dark, and I see lights up ahead, looks like someone coming at me in the opposite lane with their dome light on so I think nothing of it.

I get up closer and see the shadow of a dump body, and realize that its a guy plowing a driveway, and hes backed 3/4 of the way across the road (backing out of a drive on my side) I slam on the brakes ans swerve into the left lane and barely miss him.

It was clearly a professional company because it was a dump body truck. He had NO strobe lights at all, and his headlights did barely anything because he wasnt facing in my direction. I came extremely close to crashing into him, which would have caused major damage to both vehicles, and probably would have injured me.

I know when I get my plow on my truck, its going to be lit up like a christmas tree, not only to protect my truck, but to protect other drivers

Just trying to stress their importance

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Thank God you were paying attention. Here in Ohio...North Western area we had a private plow doing basically the same thing...the only light this guy had on his truck was one of those $15 2 bulb flasher thingy's you buy at Wal-Mart that you can't see hardly any decent distance. Well a SEMI Crashed into him...Distroyed his plow truck, Decent Damage to the Semi and Critically injured the plow driver. They said he did pretty much the same thing..Backed out of a driveway with the dump bed about 1/4 way up.

Again, Glad your OK.
  3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if you want to light it up like a chistmas tree your gonna burn a whole in your pocket real fast. i would recoment doing a fullsize lightbar and leaving it at that. becasue lights get really expensive.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sick and tired of these Joe homeowner plow trucks running around with their DD pickups with no beacons, no clue what they are doing, and always plowing across roads and leaving a mess. In NH the law doesn't require beacons, it only "allows" them, but insurance companies require them. So that tells me that all these guys with no lights don't have insurance. And I see guys doing big commercial jobs with no lights, no company name and no beacons. Not big like Walmart, but bigger gas station convenience stores and Dunkin Donuts. WTF?
    This morning I stopped for fuel at the Shell/Dunkin/Subway/carwash/truckstop. At 6:15 am with 6-7 inches of snow changing to rain it had not been plowed yet. All rutted up, cars getting stuck in the drivethru and at the street access. And it's always like that. The employees say they get tons of complaints, people slipping and falling, yet the owner does nothing. The plow guy they use is driving the owners own 1 ton dump (with no beacon), and when he does show up he does a terrible job. So it's packed snow and rutted ice for days, they never sand it, I just don't get it! I guess they haven't been sued for enough yet. I don't know how much it would bid out for, but it would be a pretty big job and should be worth a lot of money. But hey, if you're getting by and people keep coming in, why spend the money, right?
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

And another thing... Those close calls have happened to me a few times, yet when I get in the roadway and traffic comes up while I'm trying to get turned around or whatever to get back in a driveway and get out of their way, nobody will even stop or pause to give me a second, even with my 12 head Edge going. And it's always going if I'm going into the roadway. I'll be stopped up against a snowbank blocking one lane and they'll come flying by behind me without even letting off the gas. Today even a big town plow came flying by me with an 11' highway and a big wing on, little tiny road with not much room. Least he could have done is slowed up a little bit, if he didn't want to stop to let me get off the road. I ended up raising my plow and flooring it to get my nose up on top of the snowbank. Thought I was going to get stuck, but I was just trying to make room for him to get by cause I thought sure the wing was gonna hit me. Don't know how it didn't. Almost called to complain about his speed but I didn't. Effing people.
  6. drewguere

drewguere Junior Member

I like strobes anyways, so its kinda a pleasure cost, and I know it wont be cheap, but it will be safer, and Ill like the looks of it
  7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I have to agree on this one. When I just had my twin rotator mini bar, people still drove like idiots around me. I invested in some LEDs and a strobe hideaway kit and people actually slow down to a crawl near me. I think the clear hideaways make the biggest difference because you mostly only see them on emergency vehicles.
  8. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I agree! light it up like a christmas tree, but make sure you have enough switch combinations, so can turn some off if they get annoying.