1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Important questions to ask.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by born2farm, Jul 31, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

This week I will be shopping for business insurance. This will be my first time dealing with an agent for business insurance. Any important things I should ask or watch out for besides the obvious. Thanks
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What is all the types of business you are planning on doing?
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

ask them if they ever insured someone in your business... i am assuming snow plowing, you definately do not want to train someone as this business has it nuances (sp?) slip and falls etc.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing special, just tell them what type of business you will be doing. They should know what you need for coverage. Check a couple different agents.

Will you need named insured certificates?
  5. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Do any clients have any liability or bond $ min. req.?
    What is your states min. req. for general liability insurance. Min buisiness auto insuance requirements, Any DOT requirements
    We carry 5,000,000 general liability and a 25,000.00 bond which is required by one of my clients. I guess they have had a few problems in the past. The liability insurance covers both businesses. the bond is one of three bonds we are required to carry either for a state lic. or at a clients request. About now your thinking ( what a pain in the a?? ) But an experienced agent ( to repeat an earlier suggestion ) will be of great assistance with your buisiness plan.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. born2farm

Thanks for the help guys. As of now none of my contacts require insurance but I want it to protect myself and I know some of the places im targeting this year require it.so im looking for the best coverage to start up with and then change it or add as required
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Insurance is not to protect them, it's to protect you!
  8. born2farm

Exactly that is why im getting it