1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Important Question About A Ford??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rolandpell, Mar 16, 2004.

1. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

This is the first storm that I own this 1989 Ford Bronco full size . I'm a little concerned about how to use the 4 wheel drive .I have locking hubs I understand those just lock them but I always have been told to disengage the 4x4 is to back up is that true? I had a Toyota and a Chevy Blazer full size so this is all new to me can anyone help???
  2. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

On that truck, you will have to shift to 2wd, backing up relieves any tension that may be in there and lets the gears unmesh. If you want to disengage the front axles, you will have to turn the hublocks back to unlock.
  3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Hold on a sec... do you have auto lockers or manual? My 88 Bronco has manual. All you have to do is shift from 4 to 2. You don't have to unlock the hubs if you don't want to. And you don't have to go in reverse. If they are auto lockers, then you do have to do the reverse thing.
  4. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

Keep in mind, if you have manual hubs and you don't unlock them, then you only disconnected the transfer case from the syaytem. The front axels will still be spinning as well as the front driveshaft. that will just lower your mpg as well and put extra wear on your front axle u-joints.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With the manual hubs all you have to do is shift into 2H. Unlock the hubs if you don't need 4x4 anytime soon. This saves wear and tear on the front drive train.
    With the auto hubs you have to shift into 2H and backup 10 feet in a straight line to disengage the HUBS.
    (At least on older Fords this is true.) Auto Hubs tend to die quickly on plow trucks.
  6. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

Basically, you only really need to back up with the auto hubs to disengage them. If you have manuals then all you need to do is use one finger to move the lever into and out of 4wd (i think that fords have the smoothest shifting t cases) just make sure you allow d-line slack (ie let off the throttle when shifting) to shift out of 4wd when going onto smooth pavement, low range is a different story though.
  7. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

I always err on the side of caution. I have used Toyota, Chevy, and Ford, all with auto hubs. I ALWAYS stop before shifting in OR out of 4 wheel, and I ALWAYS back up 35 feet or so, just to be on the safe side. Come on.... it takes, like, what 20 extra seconds?

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I have auto hubs on my F150. This is what I do. I back up in 4WD so the hubs lock. Then put it in 2WD and go forward. This way I know I unlocked the hubs. Personally, I like manual hubs but I have electro-touch (which I don't like) so I think manual hubs wouldn't really match too well.