1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Important - Please Read!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sean Adams, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

We have created this new forum to help those who are new to this industry. We have also created this forum so that the commercial snow removal discussions do not get bogged down with similar questions on a regular basis.

If you are considering getting into the snow and ice industry, or are brand new to the industry and have a question or want to posts your thoughts, this is the place to do it.

The site Pro's will help you along the way and answer questions they can help you with. You should also use the search feature of this site. There are literally thousands of amazing discussions regarding just about every topic this industry has to offer.

Please appreciate this forum that is set up specifically for the beginner. Also, please respect the site professionals and not post your initial questions in the other forums just becasue you think you may receive more attention or more answers.
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

sean, i am glad to see this forum here and think it will help the new guys out alot with there stating off questions.
  3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

Don't thank me Karl....it was your idea.
  4. gerryF350

gerryF350 Junior Member
    from mass.

I am considering getting a Boss plow,does anyone have an opinion on them versus fisher

JOECROW Junior Member

Boss Vs. Fisher

Just Joined The Forum Today. I've Been Shopping Hard For A Plow For My 01 F250 Supercab Superduty. I 'm A Firefighter And The City I Work For Has 3 Plow Trucks With Fisher Plows. A Bunch Of Guys On The Job Plow And All But One Use Fisher. One Uses A Boss 8 Footer And He Likes It Alot. The Truck Side Mount Seems Low And I See Some Around With Strike Damage. Not Sure If Its Driver Or Equipment At Fault.
    I Am Looking For Input On Trip Edge Vs Non Trip Edge And Brand Problems. Curtis Is Made In Worcester And I Went To The Factory Store Monday. They Only Had Non Trip Plows And I Wanted To Compare Their Offerings. They Had A Few Used Units As Well.
  6. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

I know that Curtis does offer plows with a trip edge. I've seen them at one of my local retailers. I've only worked with Fisher plows, but can attest that Curtis' spreaders are top notch. I haven't heard anything either way on their plows, but they appear fairly rugged.
  7. csatom

csatom Junior Member

Hi Sean. I just became a member today, and so naturally read this thread as one of my first. To start... I would like to thank you for the site, and let you know that it has been extremely helpful, informative, and easy to use... I plan on being here alot in the future.

I think that a forum specifically designed for those of us who are new to plowing is an excellent idea, and it is exactly what I was looking for. Something else I was looking for right off the bat was a way to search for posts by geographical location. I couldnt seem to find a way unless the location was posted in the topic, and was thinking that user-location based topics would be a great option (regardless of the topic). If there is such a thing on this site, can someone please show me, and If not, would you consider it an option for expanding the site in the future? Thanks for your time.
  8. CompCo's

CompCo's Junior Member

Thanks to all...

Became a registered member today and just wanted to take the time to thank all of the knowledgeable and I might add exceptional individuals who take the time to help and assist others new to the industry via this forum.

Thank you... your efforts are appreciated.

As a result of reading the posts on this site, coupled with the fact I have been paying out "Big Bucks" over the years to have my (Business) lot plowed etc., I recently purchased a new 2500HD Chevy truck w/plow. I have expanded my existing business of Printing/Copying Service to include Snowplow, Bobcat & Dump Truck Services as well. What a combination HA!

Again, thank you all for your various posts etc...I just wished I had read all the negative posts concerning Meyers Plows....HA!
  9. Mi Plow & Salt

Mi Plow & Salt Junior Member

Mi Plow & Salt

I am new, this will be our first year, and I cannot wait. This is an amazing site and I want to thank those that run this and those that take time to answer questions. There is almost too much info, and thats not a bad thing.
  10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

There are great people at this site who really go out of their way to help one another and that is why this is the best snow and ice community there is. Glad to have you here and enjoy.
  11. Don Butman

Don Butman Junior Member

New To Business - Northern VA

I'm new to the business and am looking for some estimating information. Without spending any more money, can anyone provide or direct me to a site where I can find out the average number of snow events and ice events in the northern Virginia area? I've been searching the internet, but the closest I get are some pay sites. In particular, I would like it broken out to show average number of snow events per month and separately, average number of ice events per month.

12. Alynch

Alynch Junior Member

BOSS has a pretty good website comparing their product with others. Attaching and detaching the BOSS plow is too simple. Flip two levers and flip a swithc. The BOSS heavy duty seems better constructed, ie momre braces and springs.
  13. owl

owl Junior Member

Dirt vs Pave

I have a blizzard 720LT and it does a good job on paved driveways but the past 2 seasons I have picked up more dirt drives and I have to crawl to not trip the plow. Have adjusted the springs all the way and lower the shows but it is still a problem. A guy came in with a small blade fisher LD on a toyota and sipped around. Will fisher LD be better for my set of customers 60% dirt-40% paved?
  14. Gatekeepers

Gatekeepers Junior Member

hi i am new to the site as well. I have a 97 chevy tahoe. I also have a sno-way plow 8inc will that work on my truck?
  15. I made it...

Yes I was told of this site yesterday and thought to take a look this morn... On a local board I ask some questions to bring some answers and it was a mess...

With putting word out to the area of Wisconsin I wanted a trailer and a blower to be able to clear our small place, and to get stuff to fix and sell or keep for self with the trailer...

Nothing happened for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden I have 3 trailers and 5 blowers...

On the way home from getting the three blowers I thought you dope, considering you used to do blowing and hauling why don't you slow the building of the other business's and get a hauling and blowing biz started...

Now the following day I thought what about the wet whites as the blowers clog and should be pushed...

So I found a email 15 minutes later of a guy that had a 1994 Polaris 400 that needed work... I borrowed $500 from a friend and kicked in the $325 and went and got it as a 42" blade was thrown in...

I made some fliers in word format and took them out today and am thinking, what now...

I love America...
    ussmileyflagussmileyflag I am glad I found some other Whiteheads...
  16. Gatekeepers

Gatekeepers Junior Member

wait for the snow to come and watch the money flow in.
  17. johnandrews5

johnandrews5 Junior Member

I am new to this forum, I used to plow about 10 yrs ago. going to get back into it. I have an 05 f250 diesel, looking at the boss & fisher, should I get an 8', 8.5', or 9' ? will probably do multiple residential driveways & maybe small store parking lot. Thanks
  18. 76Ford

76Ford Junior Member

Hi i am new to this site i work for a landscaping company in Seattle, i am not working bec of the snow. My old boss wants to plow snow with a case 580. We are looking right now at 15 house all in a row. How much should we charge? When i grow up in MI some one told me he was charging $50 a drive and that was for drives ways that were 1 car length long and 2 car length's wide. And these drive ways that we are looking at are like 15 feet long. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
    The snow is 2 feet deep by the way. He lives in Shomish.
  19. timebomb

timebomb Junior Member

looking for plow

I am looking for some good insight on what kind of plow to put on my 98 Ram 1500 5.9L, has an 8ft bed if that matters..
  20. zztarg

zztarg Member

I went with Curtis because of the proximity of the factory. If anything ever breaks, they are a 15 minute drive away. I'm very happy with the plow and getting it on and off is literally a 30 second operation.

The others are good plows as well (I've use Fisher's previously), but I figured that parts availability was key.

It also helped that Curtis took care of me right away and the other brands dealers in the area were backlogged.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.