1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Importance of plow dealer location?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NoPlowMan, Sep 12, 2010.

1. NoPlowMan

NoPlowMan Junior Member

I'm looking at a Snoway plow and the nearest dealer to me is about 45 minutes away, in good weather.

I recall reading that it's a good idea to have a dealer nearby to get parts from.

Assuming I have the equipment checked over and properly maintained prior to the start of the season, how important is it to have a dealer in my backyard?

Is a 45 minute drive for repairs/parts reasonable if I plan to keep the equipment in good repair?
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Keep a few of the most common parts on hand, I even have a few of the more expensive parts just in case. I dont have a dealer for ANY plows closer than two hours away...
  3. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Get in a good relationship with your dealer......
    I know almost everybody who works at my plow dealer!
    They all know me well and would help me in a sec. if anything went down or wrong
    they are also only about 15min away!
    I have a plan where if my truck goes down they will give me a loaner until the storm is done!
    how many places u know of will do that!??!?!?!?1
    Im not a one man show but if i was that would be REALLLYYY nice!
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Picture this situation....

Four inches on the ground, coming down two inches an hour. You go out to start plowing, plow doesn't work. How does an hour each way feel now?

Of course, if you are competent with repairs and keep a few spare parts it's not as big a deal. And, it doesn't matter if the dealer is next door if he's always closed or you can't get in.

What are your dealer/brand options closer to home?
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

45 minutes is not a reasonable time for me. If and when something breaks its going to be after hours when we're usually out. Even then, the dealer is only of use if he's open. We are fortunate to have a dealer who is usually open in the wee hours if there's a storm. We plow from one side of our city to the other, I try to buy something from each so I stay connected. There is nothing more frustrating than taking a back seat to a home owner or a guy who plows his own business and a couple driveways and your trying to get back out there to finish your 23rd hour stint. Bribing with coffee and doughnuts seems to work well too.
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

my dealer is 30 mins, and it sucks its up to you.

eitherway most 50% of the break downs occur over night, so they are closed anyway. there are two reasons to have a dealer

1. PARTS
    2. service

if you can stock enough parts to almost rebuild every part on your plow then the distanct doesnt matter

2 service - A can they get you in on an emergancy basis and have you back out on the road??? i wouldnt take there word for it, i would ask those that use them for service

B. can you fit it, trouble shoot it your self? if yoru really good, you dont need the dealer for service.