1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Longae29, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone on here import salt? We're starting to look into it for next year, never done it before, our current supplier (morton) will only increase our allotment a little bit each year, and its not even close to keeping up with the increased demand we have due to expansion. Anyone have any advice? what countries to stay away from?
  2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Here in NJ almost all of the salt that comes into port Newark is from Chile. I'd imagine you'd have to bring in quite a bit and you have considerable logistic concerns bringing it in yourself, maybe easier if you find yourself on a large river that has lots of barge traffic or a place where you access to a rail yard.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You may have to look for a broker to buy overseas .
  5. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

my supplier brought in salt from chile by ocean freighter, 27000 ton loads. good salt, no problems. you'd think there wouldnt be any problems since there is a salt mine under the city of detroit and a mine in ontario but who knows.
  6. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hows the sizing on the Chilean Salt? Color?
  7. forestfireguy

The Chilean salt is kind of tan in color and is not too large in size. Definitely works faster than other types of salt that are larger particles.
  8. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

Most of the salt coming out of Chile is from the Los Lobos Salt Mine, it is a huge surface deposit of solar salt that is bench mined.

The solar salt is washed, hammer milled to the minimum size, screened to remove fines and then stock piled or loaded on bulk rail cars for shipment by ship

The Los Lobos Mine was huge inland ocean that was pushed up with the Andes Mountains 400 million to one billion years ago or more.

Solar salt by itself is purer as all the impurities settle to the bottom during the process of naturally occuring evaporation and salt concentrating.

I will say this again.

1.Call Morton Salt In Chicago, Illinois and ask for the salt sale desk.

2. Ask the person at the sales desk if you need to place an order in Chicago or should
    I call Cape Canaveral to place an order for solar salt in bulk.

If you contact Morton Salt at Cape Canaveral, Florida you will get salt easily as they have an import terminal and a bagging plant for the solar salt they produce.

I will say this again if a bunch of you form a buying co-op it spreads and reduces your risks evenly and you will have inventory to use and not be at the mercy of these brokers.

If you buy ahead or buy directly you will not run out and have to deal with the allocation process/imaginary bagged salt shortages and other problems the brokers create.

The bagged salt problem is a problem of supply and demand as well if the existing stock piled bag salt inventory is sold out it takes all season to make it back up and again the problem is the simple fact that
    nop one is buying bagged salt early or at the end of the season and this creates a shortage if bad weather occurs and salt is overused

A lot of the problem lies in the hands of the municipalities as they do not keep the stock piles the own full or fill them at the end of the salt season in May. so the problem boomerangs and causes supply and demand shortages through the entire sales structure for rock salt.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  9. forestfireguy

The buying co-op is an interesting idea, what kind of volume do you think would be required to put something like that together and make it work...maybe even save a little money group purchasing?? I know 250-300 tons is about where I'll be next season. Though for me space is the biggest issue. I cannot store bulk over the summer, this season so far we've been through 110 tons all bagged, and it's killing me.
  10. speedy

speedy Senior Member

How about from another source in Canada? We have vast amounts of salt left over from our Poash mines - it is 'tailings', in other words, the portion that isn't in a high enough concentration of Potassium to refine economically. Here's a link to one producer: http://www.nscminerals.com/

Here's a couple pictures:

It's pink in colour because of the potassium content.

Our department of highways uses it.