1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Impact Sockets

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Flipper, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I need to replace my set of 1/2" deep impacts. They are a Snap-On set that I have had for years and they are rounding out and splitting. I have a recent set of Mac swivel impacts and I like them. I am not really brand specific. Many basic wrenches, sockets etc are Craftsman and Husky with more specialized tools and pieces from the "professional companies"

I asked all the local tool vans. Snap-On, Mac, Matco about impact sets. They all want aboutt $350 for a individual 12-14 piece sets of SAE and Metric. This means I will have over $700 just in deep sets.

Anyone have a cheaper set that they have used that hols up well? I don't use them everyday, but need them when working on plows, trucks, mowers etc.

2. I always go with harbor freight when it comes to tools I don't use much. Its all hardened steel so it should hold up for a while at a fraction of the cost of a snapon set

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't understand your question:confused:If they are Snap-On tools they are warrantied for life!:nod: you just find a Snap-on dealer and trade them in for a BRAND NEW SET. I trade my 1 1/2" , 1 1/8",15/16 and 3/4 in every few years. That is the beauty of Snap-On toolsussmileyflag Buy the tool once,and as long as you do not lose it you will have that tool forever. I buy broken snap-on tools at auction because I know I can trade them for new tools from the snappy guy when he comes by on Thursdays.

Plus Snap-On DOES NOT say "made in China"ussmileyflag

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, Proto, SK, Cornwell all have lifetime warranty. I'll buy your worn out Snap-On sets. Another good place to find "used" tools are garage sales. Last year one of the neighbor kids stopped by and had a 1/2" and 9/16" Snap-On wrench that he bought for $.50ea at the garage sale down the street. So I went down there and bought the rest of the wrench set 1/4"-1 1/4" for $5.00 and gave Ethan a set of Craftsman wrenches for his 2 Snap-Ons. The kid is 9 and likes to come down and help if I'm wrenching on something.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ditto:nod:

6. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

You should be able to get a decent set of craftsman SAE and metric for around $100 each. Its been a while since I looked at Sears, but I think that was what they were asking.

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I thought so to. Problem is that the Snap-On guy says "they don't make those anymore. They have newer ones." SO I said "Give me a comparable set." He doesn't want to. I get him not going the extra mile for me, I am not running a shop with 15 grand worth of tools. One of the reasons I don't call on him anymore.

I have an e-mail into Snap-On. I figure at some point I will get it resolved but meanwhile wanted to get something, figuring I can through them in the over the road toolbox we have and use them in the field.

I will take a look at Craftsman. They only problem I have had with them is getting one socket or one wrench when one breaks. Always part of a set.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Harbor Freight.if you don't use them a lot. I buy a lot of screw drivers there because the screwdriver fairy keeps stealing mine.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

You can get individual wrenches or sockets at Sears:confused: Not sure why you are having so many issues with tools

10. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

i use northern tool they have good stuff reasonsible

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Use the cheapo sunnex brand every day in the shop have not had a failure yet got them from tool warehouse.com

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'll give you $50 for your old set

13. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

They don't, but you notice the new Dual 80 ratchets they're peddling these days don't say "USA" either. I pointed this out to the Snappy dealer and his response was "they must have forgot to put that on."

14. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

when that 9 year old kid grows up he will realize what he traded

15. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

Read the fine print on craftsman tool, IIRC Impact sockets are NOT warrantied. I run Snap on and Matco tools but for impact sockets i use Ingersoll Rand, Sunex, and Grey Pneumatic, all very good tools.

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

What, I didn't screw him I gave him a 1/4"-3/4" Craftsman set for 2 Snap-On's. He's always coming over to put air in his bike and asking me to fix stuff for him. Pretty sure he has more tools now than his dad. He's a good kid he's always at the house especially if I work late and just drag a skid home instead of dropping it off. I can't tell you how many bucket rides I've given the neighbor kids. Then last summer his dad bought him an OLD moped that didn't run guess who got to fix that during the busiest part of the season:nod:

17. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

The harbor Freight stuff seems ok. After I ran my mower slowly over a short stump, The blade tightened up to the spindle nice and smooth like ya hear. I tried and tried to loosen that blade but it wasn't going to give. So I went to Harbor Freight and bought their large wrenches $20, needed a 1" er.
    Put that on there an wouldn't you know I turned it into a 1.25 wrench. Now I had two 1.25 " wrenches. So my neighbor got wind of my predicament and offered me his handy dandy trusted Craftman 1" wrench. And lo and behold I turned that into a 1.125 " wrench. I took it to sears and got him a new one. And used a small sledge in the vise to turn mine back into a 1". So needless to say I took one of my old lawn blades and cut it in half and grinded out a one inch notch. This worked. So the harbor Freight stuff seemed just as strong to me. Oh yeh I also cracked the JHWilliams socket I got from my grandfathers era first.

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

For 10 years I was the "Mac Man" in town here.

The Snap-On guy is trying to hose you, plain an simple.The tools cost a bunch extra BECAUSE of the service provided.

Call the company direct to complain as e-mail ,at times, mysteriously get deleted. No need to get abusive over the phone but be sure to complain loud. That is why you bought them to start with and do not take the BS of design change.

U.S. Internet Customer Service by phone*
    Call our toll free number at 877-762-7664
    Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Central Time
    *U.S. Customers only

Snap-on Equipment Service:
    For on-site equipment service, parts, technical support for Snap-on, Sun, John Bean
    USA: 800-225-5786
    Canada: 800-225-5786

19. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Thats bull. You have a lazy rep. Mine wouldnt even blink an eye. Got a buddy in another reps territory that could turn them in for you?

20. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Thats BS that he wont trade them in. Guess he is just trying to make a sale on new ones. Guess he doesnt realize that now u wont go tohim first when you want to buy something