1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Impact on Resale Value 1500?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by spdracer, Jan 2, 2010.

1. spdracer

spdracer Junior Member
    from MA

I am considering a 7.5' Curtis Sno Pro 3000 for my '05 Ram Laramie 1500 Quad Cab, utilizing timbrens. No heavy / for hire use. Just a couple of driveways and my office.
    My question is: What does this do to the real world resale value of my truck, looking forward? Does a plow on a 1/2 ton negatively impact the value or does it raise the value of the truck due to the cost of the plow?

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends on when you plan on selling it. In the spring the plow will lower the price and in the fall the opposite. All in all the revenue the plow and truck create should offset any loss!!! If not then have someone else plow your drive.

3. spdracer

spdracer Junior Member
    from MA

I don't have a plan to sell it or make revenue plowing. It is for personal use (my drive, a couple family members and my office). I know that any 4WD truck is worth more in the fall than the spring. I'm talking same truck, same season, with or without the plow. Basically, if the truck has a book value today of $14,000 and I spend $4,000 on a new plow tomorrow, what is the value of the truck the following day? I don't expect it to be $18,000, but hoping it doesn't drop to $12,000. I'm wondering if the general buying public might see it as a $ negative putting a plow on a 1/2 ton truck. Any other insight? Thanks!

4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

If you plan on selling the truck take the plow off before you sell it then no one will know that you had a plow on the truck. It will not affect resale and you will still be money ahead cause you will have the plow to put on your next truck.

5. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Depends who is looking, most people will shy away from a truck thats been plowed with due to increased stress on the drive train and frame. If the prospective buyer is into plowing themselves then the vaule of your truck could be better but a seasoned plower will be wise to any mechanical items/issues associated with the make and model of truck and or plow. Also even though you may not be plowing for $ you will be saving $ from not having to hire a service, so the money you 'make' will be related to savings which could help out with depreciation. Just be careful of 'friends' taking advantage of you. It might not cost you much to plow them once in a while but when you blow a tranny, T-case, engine, rear/front end they won't be too quick to throw a few hundred your way to help out. JM$.02

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you consult your insurance agent for the liability aspects. Many companies frown on the fact of the ower operator plowing and servicing there own lots. If someone is to fall you and the insurance company will be 100% on the hook!!