1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im very disappointed in meyers anymore...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by chevy2500meyer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

The last strom we had in northeast ohio was maybe 3ins and it was light and fluffy, and i was running my pump and it kept whinning and i figured the top seal was going bad cause only did it when i would lift or stack. After about two hours of plowing i go to stack and it wont raise?? The cover was on and fluid was just pouring out (figured seal let loose), limp it to the dealers and they take the cover off and low and behold the pump base (3 threaded rods) that hold it to the center base one was stripped and the other two were only finger tight. So got dealer to patch me up to make it through the storm and today (2/9/13) i go to put it away and its dripping again and now im hopeing to make it till the end of the season. Im very dissapointed in meyers after working and installing them im thinking my next plow will be western, i hate to say it but if i keep having these problems i wont ever talke a meyers up again. This is a word the wise think twice before you buy.

2. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic:what pump you running e 47 e 57 e60 e58 i have 2 rebuilt e 60 and 1 new e 60 the problem is who is working on your stuff more than likely ..i build alot of pumps and if done right they will last a very long time if ram is clean and filters and oil is flushed and replaced ever year and angel rams are not pitted all up.. i can rebuild you pump pm me your number i will call you just did 4 last week also may take core in as part payment on rebuilt or new e 60 i build these pumps like they are going on my trucks.. you never no they might.. ussmileyflag

3. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

58h and its only two years old dealer installed and the first year i had it the truck side harness had a short in it halfway thorugh the season. the pump itself has never been rebuilt or opened up it was put on the truck and yeah. it has good durablitlity plow/lift frame wise just disappointed in the pump cause they said its the best pump yet.

4. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

That's pretty rare.. The e-58H are fantastic power units.... That should be under the warranty if only 2 years old, I would demand a new unit.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

3 yrs when i bought i worked for the dealer and he wont replace anything unless there is no way that it can be fixed -__-, and its been a reliable unit just these problems to me seem minor but when your equipment goes in a storm and trying to run a business it doesnt help. Meyers does stand behind the warranty but im hopeing that its just air breather drip but did not really look and still waiting on the rod they put a bolt in to get me through.

6. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

if the studs in center stripped out in base you will need new base.. if its the threads at top. you can fix easy.. sounds like you may have got a bad pump or a pump with bad pump releife valve i would have them check it anyway or you will blow top off can sooner or later i dont no alot about the newer e 58 h sorry ..1 things for sure, it should not be giveing out all ready ..

7. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

As soon as the seasons done im having them go through the pump cause when it came apart a couple seals were chewed and they replaced them. Before more things go wrong.

8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

That's what you get for having a MEYER... It's not Meyers.

I'm sure you have much better luck with a Western!

9. Fourtrax250R

Pushin..... while Western is a well built plow.. (we have a Pro-plus) they are not without issues either... Not sure if you have seen the New Meyer equipment, but we are not talking about the E-47's and ST moldboards grandpa used. The new line of Lot Pro's, Drive Pros, and new power units are just as good if not better then western.. fisher... I was just in the Western forum and see people with just as many problems as any other brand..

10. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

I also believe its the dealers part as well that gives us so much trouble they hate doing warranty work. Just imo western has more reliability from what I heard and seen.

11. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

No, your right, every brand has there issues. With that said, they are "trying" to rebuild there name, because they have to.

12. Fourtrax250R

agreed, they were in "hibernation" mode for quite a few years, but they are back on track with the new breed of equipment. ussmileyflag

13. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

Funny I just had to replace the base ,pump and pa box on my e 58.They also rebuilt the cylider while they were at it .It is 4 years old but has only been plowing for two years.I am also losing faith in Meyer.The dealer had no idea what they were doing.Where else do you go?does it help if you complain to the company its self?

14. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

:mechanic:sounds like they had no ideal what they were doing.. i have not had a bad pa block in 30 years..i have cleaned many up and installed new parts..some dealers workers are lazy.. some have no ideal what their doing .. they make more money replacing new parts than fixing what needs fixed .its faster also . what was wrong with old parts..:drinkup :just got e 60 core in. going to go rebuild ,i no its 60 here in southern ohio winter is over for us i think .. but i ship pump all over us and canada ussmileyflag

15. Millsy

Millsy Junior Member
    from Canada

Yes they dont or didnt care about me or my plow.Just as long as there making money is all it seemed like to me.I am very disapointed with the whole experiance.I am thinking of replacing my plow truck at the end of the season and i dont think there product will be on the front of it .

16. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If you maintain things correctly, they will perform their job as expected. Expecting somebody else (dealer) to maintain YOUR equipment correctly is foolish. It is actually in their best interest to do a bad job so you end up coming back to them. While hopefully MOST (by a large margin) will take some pride in quality work, there are those snivelling bastards who will cut corners, or even sabotage your equipment to get you back (into their service bay). On top of that, the dealer actually has limited resources to put into your equipment, so they'll typically chase straight to the cause of the problem, repair THAT, and neglect everything else. Means basically, that dealer maintained equipment will deteriorate over time much more significantly than personally maintained equipment. I have a couple of Meyer plow pumps, E47's, one is from the mid 80's that they call "new style", I don't know how old the other is, just that they call it "old style". I maintain them personally, and have only had to replace a lift seal on one, and a couple of valves and coils on the other (someone backed into it). Every couple of years I go over them with a fine tooth comb, scrub them out really well, lubricate the motors, etc., and they work flawlessly. Not bad for 25-30 years, eh?

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Agree, it all comes down to maintenance. I have had my E47 for atleast 12 years and bought it used. Rebuilt it once just freshen it up. Had to replace one motor and a couple of valves over the years but it has always worked well for me. I still have this setup on my back up truck. Pretty sure the pump is going to out live the truck. Think the Meyer hatred is based on the sheer number of Meyer pumps out there. So here about more broken ones because there are so many. I went with Fisher for my new plow many because of my local dealer. The do handle Meyer but carry much more for Fisher and gave me a deal i couldn't refuse.

18. Fourtrax250R

your right, there is probably without a doubt, more E-47's out there than every other pump from any manufacture combined!

19. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Bought 2 Meyer plows back in 2008. The seven foot plow has a nice size touch pad to it, but the V plows got a tiny pad with all kinds of buttons. Never could get the hang of it without looking at it every time. This past December the V plow had electrical issues and being around Christmas is a bad time to get anything done by the local dealer. Kept putting me off so I ended up taking the motor / hydraulic unit off the front and replacing that with a lift cylinder off a Diamond then went to Princess Auto , got 3 electric over hydraulic pumps, rigged up hydraulic lines to the front from the back of my cab. Works fantastic, only 6 buttons to worry about and if one unit goes down the problem is isolated to it and best of all I dont havta rely on the Dealer to fix it. Over all Meyer builds a good product, however they got a little stupid on the touch pad.tymusic