1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm sure this has been covered before....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redskinsfan34, Dec 3, 2013.

1. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Could someone point me in the direction of a thread covering oil change service on a 7.3? It's time for my first and I want to make sure I do everything I should. Thanks in advance.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

powerstrokehelp.com has a pretty good step by step. HPOP oil change is highly contested by many but I myself do it every 15K, figure it cant hurt.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Put suitable container under truck. Remove drain plug, punch hole in bottom of filter and allow both to drain. While draining replace fuel filter. Remove oil filter and discard. Fill new filter with clean oil and lube gasket. Install per instructions on filter. Replace washer on drain plug and install plug. Fill oil to proper level. Total oil capacity is 15 quarts. Do not over fill. Start and run truck for about 30-45 seconds, look underneath for any leaks. Shut off and then recheck oil level.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Clark. What size wrench for the drain plug huh??
    And I would recommend looking at the bottom of the fuel filter canister. It can collect a lot of junk

5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

I believe its a 3/4". I know on the 444 and a 466 its 15/16"

6. dieselss

Or 19mm. Good job grasshopper lol

7. clark lawn

from NE ohio

Ya I don't work on the v8 engines too much. Mostly 11&13 liters. Ocassionally a 466 or a 570.

8. redskinsfan34

Thank you very much. Is the fuel filter easy to get at?

9. dieselss

Right on top of the engine. Remove the power stroke cover and its right there. Circular piece on top. If you go aftermarket, you will get a new top and filter in one. If you go dealer you will just get the filter and orings

10. redskinsfan34

Thanks guys! Very helpful. Last question I promise. I was told Shell Rotella T is the best oil to use. I've never used anything but Kendall products my entire life. Big difference? Thanks again!

11. dieselss

All up to you. Asking bout oil is like asking about ford chevy dodge. Western fisher meyer boss blizzard.
    As long as its full, clean, and changed its all good.

12. redskinsfan34

I appreciate your help. Thank You. :salute:

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ford and Rotella T.......Thumbs Up

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

There, fixed that one for ya:)

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Oh no it was perfect before....Thumbs Up

16. clark lawn

from NE ohio

Not these days. Some run Mobil 1 synthetic right from the factory.

17. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have been using valvoline all fleet 15-40 in everything i own for around 35 years now.
    any brand oil will do as long as it is diesel rated.
    my 88 currently has a little over 496,000 miles on it, and my 02 has a little over 190,000 miles on it.

18. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Also helps to run a lower viscosity oil in the winter. On my 7.3 I started running rotella full syn 5/40 and ended up using it year round the truck ran quieter