1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im stuck!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbacon3231, Mar 5, 2006.

1. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 Junior Member
    from Ohio

im putting a lift kit on a 1985 chevy 4x4 and i cant figure out how to remove the steering arm. i loosen the 3 nuts on top and put some heat to it but cant get it loose. It has the tapered sleeves that go around the bolts into the arm. there has to be a trick to it. if someone knows the trick please clue me in. thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you must be talking about the steering link on the wheel end- try tapping on it with heat, like top down in the center between the bolts, then up from undernieth where the tie rods connect.

Standard mechanics practices for removing stuck parts...

3. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I put a lift kit o my 87 chevy 4x4. The link was a pita to get off. Had to beat it till my arm almost fell off. Don't use heat. Use a good penetrating oil, If you use heat you take out some of the temper of the metal. Just get your self a big hammer and go to town. Make sure you replace the nuts and DON'T hit the bolts they don't come out to easy. GOOD LUCK

4. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

thats why i have a girlfriend

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Wow, just wow.:D

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Yep--Not much you can say to that one--except at least he didn't go blind!!!!!!!!

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you are worried about loosing temper you don;t know how to properly use heat for removing stuck parts....

We're not forging pieces here, only freeing them - You're not supposed to make it cherry red, only raise it's temp 100 degrees or so to allow it to expand and crack the rust holding it to the other part. And actually, you want to heat the metal surrounding it, not the actual part. If you heat the part you want to let it cool a little before trying to remove it again which lets it contract back down a little after cracking the rust. It you heat the surrounding to expand it off the piece remove the piece in question while the surrounding it still hot.

Mechanics use heat every day- proper use has no effect on temper. (you have to raise the metals temp past a certain point to begin affecting it's temper.)

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Justme is right on the money here. Good advice for freeing stuck parts.

9. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

Not sure what your talking about but it sound like you might need a ball-joint fork --tapered to pry in between the parts.

balljointseparate.jpg

10. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

I have put in several lift kits which all where in 70's model trucks. I have had my best luck with all the advise already givin. personnaly I would try the oil first. Then at least wehn it comes off you can still touch it.