1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm so tired of Low ballers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bporter, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I just bid a job at a school there were five bids in and this how it turned out:

Salt per ton applied Plow truck Loader skid

Me 230.00 85 220 150

2 250 100 ---- 100

3 235.00 95 200 135

4 185 85 180 90

5 128 65 85 85

Needless to say we had a couple of low ballers we will se what happens they said they may or may not go with the lowest bed that they will go with what is in the best intrest of the District. But that really got me fired up.

Brian Porter:realmad:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

just wondering

is the lowest always a lowballer

3. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

GOOD POINT!!!!!!
    somebody can price lower and still make money for having a lesser overhead expenses.........THEY SHOULDN'T BE CALLED LOWBALLER. my $0.02

4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Very true they could be an excavation contractor just trying to keep a machine and long term employees busy.

"lowballer" has been a very overused word on these forums lately and most never look at the other side of the coin.

Anyway let'er snow

5. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I see your point but Ive heard about this guy and he'll do just about any type of work for nothing. I just can't figure out how he got salt for 128 a ton.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

But you also called the guy at 185 a lowballer.

7. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

the salt i got a quote at was 87.00 a ton

8. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

wow I wish these were the prices around here those are high We have Low ballers here and we get a lot of snow,

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id say number 4's number look good for my area...

maybe low on the skid side - maybe $5 low on the truck side

how much salt do you think they would use? if its more than 2 tons per storm , then id say 185 is right on -

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

That is true... and the point about excavation and construction contractors trying to keep busy is good too. many of these companies are used to taking the winter off, but hard times are here for them and they already own the equipment.

I am optimistic though. After actually bidding on a church, and expecting to be the highest bid, I found out that five companies bid it and all were between $250-280 per push. Lowest guy goes up to 6 inches at that price. This is for about an hour and a half in the truck.

11. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

There will always be another guy who's able to charge a lower price than you. These people either will do a half-assed job and be dumped by the clients that they picked up, or they've actually found a less expensive way of doing things.

I hate low ballers too, but what's really annoying are people complaining about them.

12. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Well there was abunch of salt stolen in Aurora.

On my accounts, which are all per salting, I'm getting about $400 per ton. :D I have to use calcium when the temps get below 20* though. :(

I made a good buck last year with the early season ice.