1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im so sick!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate lawns, Dec 24, 2002.

1. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Hey guys,
    This is pissing me off! I live here in the chicago suburbs!
    Everyone is getting Snow but us! Texas is getting more snow
    that chicago! Thats sick! Either the snow go's North or South
    of here! And all the people south of chicago dont know the snow
    as good as us! When do you think we will ge our snow? eney thoughts?
    thanks!

Ultimate lawns and more,

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I'm thinkin next year:mad:
    I agree this year is almost a washout.
    Mark K

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I can understand your frustration... but you know what I am sick of..

HITTING my head on the meyer light tower when I hook up the plow....

just me complaining

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We are like 3 days into winter, and the season is a wash out...
    Doesnt make sense to me, but oh well.
    If you get to the middle to end of Febuary and still dont see much in the way of snow, then you can call it a wash out. Still a bit to early right now.
    Dino

5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Ultimate Lawns - We may get some snow out of this storm yet. It was supposed to take off to the east in the mid day, and as of now it is still traveling North, North East.

CGB

6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

patience guys, patience.

7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I have to agree with Dino, still a little to early to be calling this winter a wash out.

8. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Early

We never get much in Dec. More in Jan. More in Feb. Some in March.:drinkup:

9. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Im not saying its a washout season yet. Yea, we usually get a lot of out snow in jan and feb! Usually the big snowstorm is in december though! wassup wit dat?
    thanks,

Ultimate lawns and more,

10. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I can remember years of almost nothing till Jan then plowing almost every day in jan. there is just under three months of winter left.

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While I know for some of you, you are convinced that seasonal contracts wont fly in your area. You really need to focus more on selling them, that way in light years, you still have money coming in. If you have tried and your current customer base still wont buy a seasonal, then try charging for 2 storms at the beginning of the month like a retainer, and then work off that amount when the snow comes. Dont ask for this option, simply put it in your contracts, let it become standard operating proceedure. You will be amazed at how easily the sell becomes when you do that.
    Dino

12. ffshuter

ffshuter Junior Member

Try living on Cape Cod. No snow. Maybe one or two events the whole season. Most customers do not want any plowing because it usually melts in a day. The benefit is a longer mowing season and landscaping jobs start the end of Feb. Not much money in snow here.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

When I first saw this post i thought that you where litterly sick.I just got that Norwalk virus ,that is one virus i don't wish any one to get I'm just recovering and as much as i want to plow i don't want to see any snow for at least another few days.

14. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

Yeah, I feel your frustration too- I remember when I was growing up (only 24 now) and there always seemed to be lots of snow during each winter season. School was usually canceled and you would get a fun sledding day, drink hot chocolate and help the neighbor lady shovel her walk for $10. Now a few years later it seems that something is not quite right w/ the winter weather pattern, that I think started back in 1997 or so. I hope it changes back to the years past for this area (midwest). It is strange to even think there is NO snow and we are looking at January already. I don't know......., we could still get a few bad storms. I just want to be out in it and enjoy and make some extra $. I am the type of person that looks at snow as a fun time, rather than oh, frick its snowing. The auto body shops I bet are not making a killing this year. Bring on the snow, Hawkz

15. fordman

fordman Senior Member

:gunsfiring:El Ninio, makes weather so unpridictable sometimes.

16. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Chicago area.................

We are off to a fantastic start!

With last year as our worst, we have already toppled revenue generated from all of last season.

Contracts definitely can be sold in the greater Chicagoland area. You must educate and present the contract as a form of emergency service insurance that will allow for priority routing, long term price lock, no additional expense to blow current budgets, etc., etc..

ChicagoSnow

17. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

UltimateLawn - I hate to say it, but, I can read the radar better than the weather guessers on TV. I assume your area got snow! We got around 3" in Glenview. Crazy Day to say the least.

As far as winter goes, I have to agree with Chicago Snow, this year has started off great. Plowed 8 times, 4 snow events. Salted the same. And the good news is Chicago's snowy months are yet to come.

Last year we only plowed 4 times for the whole season.

CGB

18. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

BETTER TO BE PISSED OFF THAN PISSED ON!:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

CARDOCTOR

DONT WORRY BE HAPPY

19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I believe Chicago had a plowable event on Xmas day did it not? I travelled from my snow free home 1.5 hours west of Chi town to Crystal Lake on Xmas day only to watch the snow get deeper and deeper the farther I went east. Today at home there isn't a flake to be found. Its gotta happen sometime! If not, just less gas to burn:(
    Scott

20. windmill

windmill Senior Member

So Did you get your snow yet??
    Out West (BC, Canada) we are waiting for our first fall of the year as well. Each day Grasshopper sits by his computer willing it to forcast snow. Each day it gets warmer. He just called and he just noted that there is a snowfall warning for tonight, 10 - 15 cm. (that's 4-6 inches in American). Yahoo, the coffee thermoses are ready and so am I. I was setting next week up as the start to pruning, oh well.