1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im sick of fixing my plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 27, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

so my angle cyl came off. the metal actualy ripped.

i took pictures, which would have made this thread have a point. but apparently her camera does not keep pictures if there's no mem card. even tho it lets you take them....

anyway, did prep, pounded metal back into place. welded it. flipped the plow over and kept welding. long story short, found like 5 different pieces that were coming apart.

im sick of crawling around the mud welding piece after piece.

but i think i might be done mostly. still want to have some of the mount redone by a pro, replace a fitting, and i think iv got two wipers on my lift clyender...

wish i had pics, some of the best welds iv done.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go buy a whole new one on Craigslist.

3. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Is that where the best ones are found ?

4. birddseedd

that, would be awesome. soon i hope. tho i thik this year im going to take it appart bolt for bolt cut off some pieces and rebuild the entire thing. then a nice sandblasting and powder coating. its not a bad plow. just needs some tlc.

5. grandview

In birds price range!:eek:

6. grandview

What truck do you have?

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm sick of you fixing your plow too...but you always make for an interesting read. :drinkup:

If it's of any consolation...my wiper blade fell off today, but then it snapped right back on...so, not too bad.

8. birddseedd

hehe. i couldent help but laugh

9. birddseedd

04 dodge ram 1500. with the torsion bars turned ALLLL the way up. :D

10. grandview

There are a boat load of Westerns for sale in your area.

11. birddseedd

I think you underestimate my level of poverty.... i went over it pretty well today. it shoudl be good now.

tho i think my valve might not be adjusted right. i have a new contorl box and cables. but it sill seems i have to move the stick back and forth to get the angel to work. seems to be the same on both left and right.

but i can live with it. i went over the a frame and found quite a few places that had started to brake. hopefuly it should be good for a while.

ya know. the whole month we have left, :(

12. 86f350

86f350 Member

Go buy a new ultra mount and be done with it. There are tons of them out there now. with all the problems your having i hope your not plowing commercially.

13. birddseedd

unfortunatly i am. i think iv got everything fixed now. the ones that iv been late to are drives tho.

hopefully ill be good from this point out. next season i want to take it all appart and referb it from ground up.

14. meborder

meborder Senior Member

What made you think using a cable plow to make money was a good idea?!?!?

holy cow your are brave!!!

yours sounds like it is about as cobeled up as mine ... i sure wouldnt want to have anyone but me relying on its performance....... not pickin' on ya ..... just sayin' ....

15. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

At least you are getting in some good practice with your welding.

16. birddseedd

oh ya. lots of pratice Thumbs Up

17. birddseedd

the whole setup cost 500 bucks. thats what made me think it was an idea. good idea?... well. it was an idea i could afford.

this plow will make the money to buy a new plow. there really isnt much more that can go wrong with it. iv welded the stress points. rebuilt the lift cylendar. the pump and motor seem good. as long as those hold out i think everything is good for the moment.