1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm now "that" guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GSS LLC, Feb 21, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

According to the d.o.t. I must have my flashing light on at any time I am travelling with my plow on. I feel like a ******. That is all.
  2. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

You can always turn the light off, risk a ticketThumbs Up
  3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I almost never turn mine on
  4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

If your not exceeding the dot spec for vehicle width there should be no reason to have the light on....unless you find something in writing I would keep the light off.

the next cop might give you one for having the light on.:dizzy::dizzy:
  5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

you apparently didnt see my other thread where i got a "wide load" ticket. yes i exceed the dot spec. and that is the reason to have the light on.
  6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

a state troopper stopped me while backing out on his hiway taking a motherload into an exit and said the same . my interior lighted switch was out and it twas daytime .

im not into that hoser life myself but im known to be seen from space when fully lit up . ,
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What lights?
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

That was one reason I hot rid of my 10 footer stopped to many times
  9. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I find idiots flock to that hazard beacon , like Moths to a flame !
  10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Laws on what requires lighting vary by locale.

It irks me that laws require flashing lights for all kinds of things that do NOT warrant special attention. A plow, a car strapped to a flatbed (which would not need the lights if it was hauling 3000 pounds of anything else), whatever. We all get so used to the lights that they no longer grab our attention like they should.

11. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I talked to the kalamazoo road commission about being 2 inches over, he said to tilt my plow. then we talked about a guy that had some 11 feet on the road.
  12. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I know, for around here anyway, It is in your best interest to use an amber beacon of some sort, when you are plowing.

If you are, heaven forbid, invovled in an accident, one of the first things the cops ask is "Did you have your beacon on". Trust me the correct answer is YES. That simple little PITA light can save your ass, and your wallet.
  13. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Mine is only on when there is other cars around otherwise I don't bother.
  14. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Mine is on as needed, does not bother me to have it on.
  15. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Last yr I decided to get seasonal permits for my truck and loader , the loader has a 14' pusher and it travels from site to site my trucks plow is 11' 6" when I have it straight so I call the county and MDOT and they both tell me " we concider snow removal equipment as emergency equipment and do not issue permit nor require permits" so I'm tinking to my self I'm going to get a big ticket but I have passed the MDOT atleast 4 times this yr and once he even stopped and was eating lunch and watching me out the window then he came out moved his truck when I needed to plow where it was parked.I feel very lucky that I dont have the problems that alot of you guys do.
  16. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

we run 9.2 boss's with wings 11' and backhoes with 12' pushers local DOT leaves us alone maybe lucky maybe they see thet we provide an essencial service
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013