1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm New to Seasonal Contact

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Antlerart06, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

This a fix rate 10k broke up in 6 months for 3 years could be If I want it

Lot size is 5 acres Is that low or ok? I know its a gamble

I look at another lot I do close to the size Last 3 years figure out about 12 plows and 12 salt runs But lot I went off of is a Factory the runs 24hrs

This 5 acre lot is a Box Store open from 7am to 9 pm Im thinking maybe 8-10 visits for each plow and salt

2'' plow trigger under that salt trigger

Out fit out of Ohio is subbing it out everybody should know who that is

I thought about drop some pain in the a$$ jobs and do this

I just don't know I'm a gambling man or not

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you come up with as a per plow for the season based on that many pushes? If your close ,go for it,Think of seasonal as a big pot of money,then every time you plow you take a little out and hope for some leftovers at the end of the yr.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

lol, a glimpse into Grandviews way of thinking, Very true though, break it down into per push(based on average or predicted amount of pushes) divide by predicted time to do, you then get your rough hrly wage, then if that # is at or above what you need/want to make then you know you wont go broke if you do it.....assuming you get paid:whistling: :rolleyes:

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I would be very cautious on that you might want to look at those numbers.
    Plowing 5 acres for 10k is one thing
    Salting it is another.

5. Antlerart06

Plow side looks good but the salting side isn't looking good on the rate I should put down I guess I could cut 1/3 rate off wouldn't be bad unless it doesn't do the trick Plus extra salting could eat me up

But less events would help but more events then I'll loose money on the salt side

They said if they need add some money to sweeten the deal they would add some

Should ask this on 10 events Would you or grandvieiw take this job I know your area isn't the same as mine but Fix rate I say this rate might be same in your town from the contactor in Ohio

That be bad thing on payment you never know

6. Antlerart06

That's the problem Im having is the salt side

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

To salt 5 acres how much would you put down _____
    What if they want you to salt more often. You could be into $5k in salt in 10 outings

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

not alot of room....of course. I wonder what they mean "sweeten the deal" and "need" sounds a little iffy, I'd get that "if they need to sweeten deal" thing very clear

9. Antlerart06

I be at $350 of salt for 10 salt visits = $3500+labor = $4500 Yes the extra recalls could take me up. I could cut it down to 275 and hold the 75 back incase they want me touch up bad areas
    Plow side I need be at $700 per visit x 10 = 7000
    Total 11500

I'm not sure if they will meet me at my price I guess I'll call they say no Then its not meant to be

10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

The Nationals "proposed rates" are always ridiculous. Don't go by their numbers. Figure your price as if the store manager called you for a quote. And make sure you are right if you sign for 3 years.

11. Antlerart06

I don't sign a 3 year its a year contact and each year if they like the service sign for 2nd year and so on They have it for 3 years
    I don't know about fix rates I like per event price or the per inch price

12. Antlerart06

I went by my numbers and I was 4k higher then they was So they said if they cant find anybody else They will call back, I said ok even at that not even sure I want it at my price So I hope they find someone will do it at there price
    If wasn't a Fix pricing I would jump on it

13. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Good. At least if you get it, it will be on your prices. If its a light winter, you'll make out just fine.

14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Having a mix of seasonal and per push is the best of both worlds... your seasonal's work in low snow years and your per push work in high snow years. Its a Win/Win as long as you've priced them correctly.....

15. Antlerart06

Signs showing going be a bad one this year fuzzy caterpillar are all black no stripes