1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im new! i dont know what to do! ha.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SS2500HD, Sep 18, 2008.

1. SS2500HD

SS2500HD Junior Member

Hey, been creepin this place the last few days and i finally signed up as i have some questions and comments. ill be sure to use the search first when i can, and although im new i consider myself a fast learner. looking forward to gathering as much info as i can.

my first questions.. i have a 2003 2500HD with a 6 inch lift. i will be putting the stock rims and tires on for winter and ive read/heard i could plow with say like a unimount western at its lowest setting. now i understand geometry and how having the plow this much lower than the frame can create more torque on the frame, but i am wondering since it is a 2500HD with the d-max, if the frame can handle this, for one, and two, if it will plow as cleanly. right now ive decided on two options. get a v-plow with my 03, or buy an older (1990ish) 1 ton gas w/ dump with a straight plow so i can also utilize the dump bed in the summer and fill it with salt. i guess i am trying to weight the pros/cons, some main ones i have thought of so far:
    1. new truck will be more reliable
    2. dont want to wreck the newer truck
    3. the dump box in the 1 ton would be very handy.
    4. cant afford right now to buy the 1 ton and a plow for the 03

if any of you have any answers, comments, or tips i greatly appreciate it. thanks! - Shane
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plowing with that much lift will NOT work very well.
    A V blaed works the best and saves ALOT of time. It will work on the 1 ton dump just fine.
    Salt is expensive and hard to get this year.
  3. SS2500HD

SS2500HD Junior Member

yeah i just called both boss and western plow dealers, they dont even recommend any plow on my truck due to the fact that its a deisel and its a crew cab (front axle weight) said it can be done and the truck would probably handle it, but they cant hang it. i was hoping to do a V on that truck...and a straight 8 pro western carry out is 4100 according to them for the rest of this month..... i guess i am looking at getting into the older 1 ton and hope she runs good. asking price is 4800. its a 87 4x4 with dump bed and straight blade, 148k miles new TH400 and new 205 t case. i was thinking more like 3500 is a good price any opinions on whether this truck would be a better choice, cus its looking that way so far...
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

what are you planning on plowing?
    if you buy the one ton then you should have a back up truck since reliability might be in question and it sounds like you want to do commercial accounts.
    Read the other newbie question about insurance and the coverage needed for some commercial work.

I thought you didnt have the money for the one ton?

I wouldnt plow with the 03 unless you want to go through the headaches of adapting a lifted truck to plow (do a search on plowing with lifted trucks)

good luck and welcome.
  5. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

one of the reasons you cant plow with your truck is when the plow is at an angle it will lift up on the one side and not make contact with the ground... so you would have to plow strait all the time. and of course all the tourque you put on your frame with having it lowered you will run into problems with mounting
  6. SS2500HD

SS2500HD Junior Member

Yeah I'm startin to figure that out. I saw one guy from dieselplace that is plowing with a lift and I got my hopes up. And yes I hope to do some commercial lots. And I have already considered that I will be spending money on insurance. And lastly I meant I can only afford either the older 1 ton with a plow already on it or just putting a plow on my truck. Ut looks like I am going to have to pick up the 1 ton or a similiar older plow truck. Thanks for the help reasauring me in my decision.