1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm new...and I have a few questions..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgePlow, Aug 29, 2002.

1. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Ok,

I am new to this site and I already find it full of useful information. First question, I live in MA and looking for a used plow to put on my Dodge Ram 2500 V10. Anyone know of a shop that sells used plows or a shop that has good prices on new plows.

Second question:

I am having trouble deciding how much to charge. What is the best range to work with.

1 - 6 in
    7- 12 in
    13 - 18 in
    18 - 24 in

I know everyone charges differently , but I am trying to get a estimate on how much to charge for say 100 sq/ft parking lot.

Also, If anyone could e-mail me a sample contract. I want to get an idea of what to put in my contracts.

Thanks Alot !!

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

We were all new to this at one time or another, it sounds like you have not plowed before and if that is the case I would recommend that you hook up with someone in your area and try it out before you invest alot of cash into a plow. I know that come winter the landscapers are looking for drivers so that would be a way to start out.

I would look at a new setup from a good dealer that will install it for you. That way should you have any problems they can deal with it and not you.

As for charging that would depend on what you are plowing I charge different for commercial then I do residential. I make more doing residential driveways with less hassle.

What part of Mass are you in?

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite DodgePlow. I can't help you with a shop for a used plow. You might try eBay, there are often some listed. You're range looks good, except I'd stop at 12". I'd specify that I'll usually plow "with the storm" and not let it pile up. I put a clause mine that I charge "$x"for 6" to 12", then $x plus $y an inch more over 12". Over 12" of wet and heavy snow is going to be very hard on equipment. Rethink your lot size - 100 sq ft is only 10' x 10'. A better way would be to figure how long it's going to take with obstacles, backdragging etc. Then figure how much you want to make "per hour". Don't tell the customer that figure just that you'll charge $xx to clear his lot/drive. Most common expectation is around $100 to $125 an hour. Some areas I've heard of expect to make $225 an hour. While some would argue that you have to stay in line with "going rate" others would argue that you could go broke that way and need to figure your expenses, overhead etc to come up with a rate. Contracts - you might do a "search" for that, visit the SIMA site or CHUCK'S CHEVY PAGE ( I think he still has sample contracts there).

Good luck - hope I helped a some.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!!:waving:

Click on the "Snowplowing Contractors Network" link at the top of the page, he has some sample contracts posted there. He also has a snowplowing handbook available that may help you start out. Try a search here too, I remember some being posted in the past.

If your truck is more than 5 years old, I'd try to find a good used plow for it. You can try salvage yards, plow dealers(they often have bulletin boards where used equipment is posted) or the "Want Ad Digest" if it's available in your area. Plows are often listed on Ebay too, although you may have to travel to pick it up.

On a newer truck, it would be worthwhile to install a new plow, you'd get the return on resale. If you're sure you want to plow agressively, a new plow would pay in either case. I once installed a new plow on a 13 year old truck, but my business was already established and I knew I was keeping the truck. With the used setup, you wouldn't have such a large investment laid out if you decide plowings not for you.

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

DodgePlow,

Were in Mass are you. I have a friend that I buy all my plow equipment from. He sells three different brands and I can give you his shop name and address and phone number and you could call him to see if he has anything used. I bought a used plow from him last year that was kicking around his yard and fabricated it to fit a John Deere 1070 tractor. His shop is in Danvers Ma.

6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Here is a picture of it:

mvc-266s.jpg

7. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Thanks for the replies...

THanks for all the info. I live in Methuen, MA. I've plowed before with my brother so I defenitely intertested in snow plowing. We are kind off new at this so I figured I would try to learn alot more inorder to benefit me later.

THANKS AGAIN

8. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I'm in mass too. I am looking for new plows heard too many horor stories with used equipment including my truck which i got screwed on. I vow I will never ever buy a used piece of equipment this day on. I am looking into a fisher minute mount 8ft for $3600 installed and fish stik control for $30. I called 5 dealers and got all different prices differences as much as $600 for the same plow. I am going to tucks trucks i think they allow to pay at intervals and put a deposit now on the 01' season price and install later. I've heard there is a 5% price jump coming in two days.

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Try the want ad , there is allway's a ton of plows in there and they are pretty easy to install ( about 6-8 hrs of your time)

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

here is a place in Keene ,NH I think that is supose to be reall cheap on new fishers,so I have heard.Plus you would save on ma tax
    Go to fishers site and look for dealers.

11. oakster1

oakster1 Junior Member

If your looking for Fisher, try Lang's Corner Garage in Rye, NH.
    The owner Paul is great....very helpful, no attitude.

12. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Oakster and Cat320,
    Thanks for the names of those dealers except i did not find them on the fisher site. Do you have a website or #. I never even thought of tax free NH.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I just looked at the fisher site and the updated it .They must of not payed there dues to fisher they were on the old one.Maybe some one from NH. would know the place in Keene.

14. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

The guys in keene are snowplowsales inc.
    There website is snowplowsales.com