1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm looking to Sub in NW burbs of Chicago

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JazyT, Oct 23, 2009.

1. JazyT

JazyT Junior Member

Hello Everyone.

I'm completely new to the industry. I've never pushed before. BUT, I have a class A CDL and have used other forms of heavy equipment before, from 18 wheelers, forklifts, front loaders etc. just not a plow truck.

I have a Dodge ram 1500, 4x4 with 5.9L motor. Truck just came from Florida, so it's completely rust free, and a Western 7'6" plow with the leaf extensions. I also have a tailgate salter.
    My brother is also willing to work with me as a plow/shoveler team if that is a possibility.

I'm looking to sub out in the NW suburbs area of Chicago. I'm located in Carol Stream which is pretty centrally located to most major towns around here.
    I know most people pay for experience but the only way to get that is to start working.
    On my behalf I can say that I am 100% reliable, punctual and dependable. I just need someone to hire me so I can prove that.
    I've been reading that good subs are very hard to come by, but I know I can get this done. Show me once, and I'll do it that way every time.
    So, if anyone is looking for a sub, please, please, contact me so we can talk.

Thank you for your time, and thanks for reading my pitch.

2. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Welcome to snow biz and good luck.

Being new to the business of snow plowing you will you moght not know that a 1/2ton Pick up truck with a 7'6" plow is not going to move all that much snow. Now in some applicaitons your size truck might be great but in most applications where companies are looking for sub they will like you to have at least a 4X4 3/4tons truck with a 8' plow. Again, this is not to say that your truck might fit in somewhere but it is not going to bring the type of hourly rate taht the more common trucks for plowing will. Also you will need additional insurance that most guys with a pick up and new to snow plowing do not think about and that will cost you moeny up front.

Take it for what it is worth.

I am not looking for any subs nor have I had much luck with them in the past. However, if what you said it true about looking for a chance to learn and you are dependable I am looking for a driver for plow/salt truck. As with anything there is more to plowing and salting than droping the plow and turining on the spreader. I also have work for shovlers or a team that will work out of one of my trucks.

I would PM you but you have to reach 10 post before that is possible.

Ron
    630 675-2939.

3. JazyT

JazyT Junior Member

Hello Ron, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

I do understand that a smaller truck with a smaller plow is not the most appealing to companies that may need a sub, however, being new to it I made the decision to buy something used & smaller so I can learn the ropes and get used to it, and maybe next season upgrade to a larger truck/plow.
    I know it's different and complex, but having operated forklifts, skid steers and front loaders, I know it cannot possibly be that complicated.
    I was aware of the insurance costs and am prepared to obtain whatever is necessary to be able to work. Money may not be that great, but I know it will certainly beat not making ANY money and sitting around all winter.
    I was hoping for some residential or maybe light commercial work, but at this point I'll take anything I can get just to "get my feet wet" no pun intended.
    I'll give you a call, maybe driving a bigger truck will help in that department..