1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im looking into a 2000 sterling 7500 need advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by mc1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i want to buy a 2000 sterling 7500 33k gvwr it has a cummins with 240 k on with an engine overhaul done 30k ago its pretty cheap and im nervous about the mileage but i need to get a bigger rig and its in my price range. it is located in NC i live in NY so i will plan tofly down to look at it before i buy it a local sterling dealership is going to check it out for me but dont have any exp. with big trucks so i dont know what exaclty to look for any help or suggestions appreciated thanks matt
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Well, first, you do know that Diamler is closing the Sterling brand right? It will no longer exist (I think by the end of this year), so the resale will be very little. You should be getting a SMOKING deal on it just because of this.

Overhauls require paperwork. Without paperwork and proof of all that was done, it didn't happen. Period, end of story. No paperwork, no overhaul.

air brakes or no air brakes?

Get a good DOT inspection done (probably at a different place than this dealer). Should cost from $100 to $250, but will tell you everything about the truck, and you have to do it anyway, so doesn't matter.

A dyno run can tell you a lot about the engine, but if it really did have an overhaul, I probably wouldn't bother.

brakes and tires can get crazy expensive on class 7/8 trucks, make sure they work and work well.
  3. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

19 k for the truck you should know it has a 20k k pac hook lift on it
    i figuire 10 for the cab and chassis and 10 for the hook the hook is 24 k for a new one i will have to fly down to pick it up and drive it 800 miles home:confused: i have some exp with larger trucks but its been years , im sure by the time i get home if i make it with no problems i will feel better about the whole thing