1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im just starting any tips

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cdnelson123, Dec 31, 2007.

1. cdnelson123

cdnelson123 Junior Member
    from sudbury

im starting right from scratch any tips on any thing will help

2. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Get snow plowing insurance.

3. cdnelson123

from sudbury

thank you

thank you do i shop for the insurance or is my local broker good enough the bank wants me to start applying for all this credit is it really needed or should i just get a small line of credit

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Stay away from my driveways!:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

Just kidding. Insurance is key. Shop around and see what you can get. Start with your current truck insuarance company and see what they can do for you. Be prepared to plow any day and at any time. Quality of work is important, so don't skimp on your first few drives you get. The better you do, the quicker your name gets out. Take pride in what you do. Don't lowball. Charge the going rate and stick to your guns. Don't let customers tell you what they want to pay. You're in it for the money, not to make friends. Good luck.

Edit: Are you in Sudbury Mass?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read through this forum and you will get tons of info. This is a great place to learn the ropes.

6. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Keep reading here. Do searches on subjects that interest you and take what you can from it. There is a lot of info here. Just go out and do it. You'll make plenty of mistakes, just try not to repeat them.

Learn to create good contracts. They can help you or hurt you. Be clear in the contract to provide info to clients that weren't listening when you explained the details. Usually folks hear what they want to hear but the contract is what it is. Try to keep interpretations to a min by spelling it all out. Every word has meaning. I'm not a lawyer but have had contract law in school which probably has helped. Start with a real contract or see a lawyer for your Commercial accts. I think I used one of the basic contracts from the Snow and Ice Mgt cd to start. Good luck

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Also, try to prepare for the unexpected; have spare parts on hand for truck and plow. Do some networking for a customer base: A sign in your area works good for generating customers. Make friends with other plow contractors in your area just in case you break down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  8. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

Get a contract for everything you do. Covers your a*s and ensures you get paid.

9. cdnelson123

from sudbury

thank you guys

I'm in sud bury Ont I'm doing all my research now and looking forward to 2008 season I'm starting to finalize all my research i want to do it right the first time so i don't fail I'm a mechanic in sud bury so i don't have to worry about break downs i have my own garage on the side I'm going to run a 78 f250 heavy duty manual trans 351 modified and have the spare truck for parts it just the rest i need to learn what are the going rates in Ontario

10. Gil

Gil Junior Member

Prices to charge for plowing

I'm contemplating plowing the shared drive in our neighborhood's sub-division. The drive is gravel and about a mile long. It's mostly straight, but has two long sweeping curves. Shouldn't be too big a deal. The guy who plows for us now comes out whenever there is two inches of snow (sometimes multiple times in the same snow storm) and charges $90 per plow. It takes him about 30 minutes to plow and that includes two individual's drives. Seems excessive because that equates to $180 per hour. When we call him out to plow snow-drifts - he charges the same $90 fee and there are times it takes him about 15 minutes to clear the snow-drifts. That equates to $360 per hour.

I'd like to get a plow for my pickup truck and contract to the neighborhood association, but I'm unsure of the fee to charge. I was thinking $100 per hour and charge for time, not event. However, after finding out the plow will cost $4500 to purchase/have installed and $350 per year for liability insurance - I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

I know I can do a better job of plowing and at a lower cost for the group, but I don't want to set myself up for selling myself short.

How do others charge for their time and at what rate?
    Do I really need liability insurance that is a million bucks (the only premium my insurance company offers for snow plowing contractors)?

Thanks in advance

Gil

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes, you need the ins..
    What if you hit the neighbor kid that is playing in a snow fort he made in a snow pile?
    (for example)

Have you thought about starting a business like an LLC?

Next rates, just like the guy you have now. by the job not the hr.

Your doing this to make money, not to be a nice guy as equipment costs money to get and maintain plus what is your time worth?

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You need to start a thread of your own instead to get more responses. Yes, you will need liability insurance; the association is unlikely to contract with you if you don't have it. As far as what the other guy was charging; now you're seeing why they charge that much. If you took my individual charges and prorated, it would come out to more like $3 - $350 an hour. As it is, I typically make over $200 an hour on the route I have.

13. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

350 for plow insurance. i wish i could get it that cheep. here in ct , its 1200 bucks for that insurance. i cant find it cheeper.

14. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Your second paragraph should give you some idea why he charges what he does. Plows and trucks and the breakdowns that go with them are not cheap. How long is it going to Take you to recoup just the cost of he plow if you don't charge enough. then you have insurance and you need to set aside money to cover anything else that comes up. $100.00 an hour may seem like a lot, but it doesn't go very far in this business.

15. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

newbee

greeting's ,salutation's ,hallucinations don't get in hurry it will cost you money a !