1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im in mexico... does anyone want to pick up my accounts while im gone?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Feb 3, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

yeah i went on a road trip it was only going to be untill monday the 7th but now im planning on staying untill the 14th, being that there is no snow predicted im mostly in the clear, but if some freak storm comes across im goingn to need to ave someone to cover my so i dont have to fly back and leave my car.

anyways, i have mostly all gas stations, all of which pay you at the time of service CASH ! and one office building i have to bill. owned by my family so youre sure to get paid. and are located from 143rd and bell road

okay heres the run down.
    3" trigger spots.
    from 143rd and bell to cicero avenue there are 7 stations and one that i have a tentative agreement with.
    1@ $55 3" trigger
    1@ $60 3"triger
    1@ $50 2" inch trigger
    1@ $60 2" trigger
    4@ $50 all 3" triggers one of which is actually entirely too out of the way in blue island. i canceled my contract with them, you can do it or not do it it dosent matter
    1@ $65- tentative agreement. they fired their old guy and i dont have them on contract yet.

and the ofice building in palos , not too far out of the way which is $60

soooo if anyone is interested in picking up some work please dont hesitate to call 708-715-8489
    ill be back in town next monday night the 14th, so its oging to snow after that, i got it handled

thanks for the help

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Enjoy yourself.

I don't even think about going out of state between Oct 1st and March 31st. Possible exception of John Parker's in Poughkeepsie in October.

3. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

wish i could go to mexico in february... damn ...im the same way.. my life has to revolve around the weather..it kinda sucks...would love to just travel all winter... SNow is cool when you get the checks.. but otherwise its SUCKS.. you're like a prisoner to the weather nazis..lol

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You said it, well at least for me I won't go much over a 4 hours drive. I go up to Northern New Hampshire alot in the winter but its usually on the weekends and if snow is forecasted i just stay home. I have had to rush back home early at 3am before a storm to get the plow mounted and redy to go by 6am. If i plan on going someplace and spending the night I have 2 people who know my route and can do it in the case of an emergency that prevented me from returning home for a suprise storm.

Well, Iam doing nothing to answer the question. :rolleyes: Just rambling again.

I can't help, iam too far away. Not to be a jerk but with those kinds of accounts, I would not be 3,000 Miles away in Mexico with out someone lined up in case of snow. Just me.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Chris, are you not in High School ? How the hell can you travel all winter, plow all night and day when need be ? I know when I was in high school I went to school not work if it snowed. Not bashin ya just wondering how ya can pull all this off.
    Todd

6. zippoz

zippoz Member

hmm still no takers.
    if it comes to pass ill just have to buy a plane ticket back home and leave my car here for a bit, im in arizona now staying with a friend, but as the weather looks, im not goingn to have to deal with any snow. i wouldnt have left if the forecast had any snow.

and how or why i drive to mexico in the middle of the business season? i just love traveling and driving. its my thing and nothing is really goingn to stop me. besides isnt this waht working for yourself is all about?

peace
    zippoz

7. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

zippoz I cant cover your accounts but I can stay in Mexico for you while you fly home.

8. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

yeah me too.. i ll cover your duties in mexico.. you get back here and plow... we understand the theory of "self employment" but Snow removal has different terms... its not a 9-5 job... it s unpredictable.. and what you do by goin to Mexico in the middle of your contractual duties is Kinda irresponsible.. what if we got a fluke blizzard tonight... either way.. i admire your risk taking .. wish i had the balls to do that.. just take off to mexico..?? have fun
    No snow up here for at least a week!

9. zippoz

zippoz Member

quite honestly i have to be frank. i only care about one of my lots its my dads office, and the 2 clark stations but the shells can go fu*k themselves.

if it snows ill just call someone to plow the 3 and pay the difference. thats if someone dosent take the accounts though which im sure i can get someone to do.

anyhow i am currently in hermosilo, sonora mexico, 2256 milesf rom chicago borrowing a wireless connction with my laptop, one more hour and ill be in the sea of cortez drinking a nice domestic corona :)

peace

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I gotta say... If you plan on plowing commercially, winter is the wrong time to be traveling. :rolleyes:

11. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Oh grow a set and get over it.

Hey, yeah, he should have lined up someone to handle the route before he left just in case, but no need to poop on the guy becuase he's in Mexico and we're hanging round the house waiting for God's dandruff. I too would like to be in Mexico right now, or back in FL, but I've been twice this winter and have to wait till May to travel again.

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Sounds like some accounts that are free for the taking by the first reputable plow company to come along. I would never go on a vacation in the winter months and leave my customers high and dry. I couldn't have a good vacation with that worry on my mind.

13. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

I don't wanna flame on you zippy but how can you run a business that is in snow removal and then go on vacation? make the comment I don't really care about my other customers? Man oh man....

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>"Sounds like some accounts that are free for the taking by the first reputable plow company to come along.</i>

The area he is talking about is very cut throat. I mean a plow truck for every block cut throat. And over on Cicero Ave. ,one of the busiest roads in Chicago-land, It ain't the safest for driver's and is many many curb cuts and small lots with no where to put snow. Most of this area depends on low-ballers that drive around with the best offer and owners that only care if they can get the registers open and closed. No contracts? Not caring? Cash payments?

I agree a professional should take a shot. But if you price as much as what the job would take you would be wasting your time.

15. zippoz

zippoz Member

harsh, the fact of the matter is that i will have the lots taken care of regardless. i am still connectred to everyone i work with, and know someone that could handle my lots if i was gone, but just would rather not.

even in mexico right now where its sunny and 70 im still checking the weather, email and phone.

BTw i have signed conttracts with everyone of these stations that took me months to hamer out with the regional manager of these gas stations so dont even think about taking them.

and still the forecast says no snow untill atleast the 14th everywhere i look for the area.

worse case scenario im back in chicago within 10 hours max theres an international airport an ohur from here.

theres a diference between being irresponsible and caustiously having one hell of a time.

16. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Moot Point

I think the topic of it snowing before he returns i a moot one. It is in the 50's here in the chicagoland area. They are calling for rain on sunday. It is supposed to start getting colder after sunday. Light snow forecasted for Tues & Wed.

Jeff

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe, but it does not seem so in this case. Especially after you said that you don't give a fu&k if some of them get plowed or not, I would not be saying that if I had a contract with the customer. If its going to be done "reguardless" then why are you asking here. Have a good time in Mexico, don't drink too much :waving:

18. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

What an UFIA this is. It will be clear till he returns, and if not, since he is paying attention to the weather, he can hop about the puddlejumper express and be back here. Although, why I would want to blow that was of cash to get back to plow 6 accounts, I have no idea. But, since I don't want a case of the cha-cha's, I would not have taken off to mexico anywayz.

This thread will still be going even after he gets back, at this rate. See what happens when no one has any snow to plow?

19. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Zippoz,
    I say have fun , you are only going to be young once ,don't listen to all of us old farts with bills that have to stay home and work .

Next time just line up one of your Buddies to drive your route for you BEFORE you leave . From the looks of it you could even stay longer.

20. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Oh Brother

Since the only business he is really concerned about is his Dad's office, make's you think a little how a "business" person of 21 can take off in the middle of winter. A good business person would have had this covered prior to going on vacation. Instead he solicits business help over plow site while thousand's of miles away. Oh yea BTW, he still is connections and has things covered. :rolleyes: