1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im hot!!!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by landscaper3, Dec 13, 2001.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have a 1990 Dodge W350 4x4, 360 automatic. We have a 9' blade on it and noticed at higher speeds or higher RPM it heats up almost overheating! When popping the hood I noticed (Why there ran it ?) the smallest radiator i have seen. My question is will a 5.9 Cummings radiator (alot bigger) same years 88-93 or will a late model 94-98 fit. Electric fans really wont work this radiator is way to small (must have been a Dodge joke) Anyways some advise will be considered! Thank you.
  2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

does it get hot with the blade off the truck??

just curious
    Mark K
  3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

What is the outdoor temp?
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

If the truck is not boiling over dont worry about it.
  5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

we use to have a 1978 dodge sno-commander with the same problems.. our solution, and this may soud silly, but if ya notice it getting too HOT, open the hood and pack snow around the radiator... yeah i know sounds stupid but it does keep the temperature down, i also suggest putting a cooler thermostat in like 160 degree thermostat.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do you have a snow deflector on the plow? If not, then put one on, I bet it will solve your problem. The plow will push the air up over the grill, with the deflector, the air is stopped at the rubber flap, and other air can get over the plow, and help cool the engine. I had an 81 trailduster that did this and a 88 dakota.